PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wired up a 2006 passat towbar

jeepster1961
28-04-2010, 01:46 PM
i have read the thread on the golf towbar but has anyone wired their b6 shape passat towbar electrics

martin1810
01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
How do you want to do it. 7 way bypass or oem electrics. It's easy but getting the trim off and on is a pain. Lots of people have done it on here. Search passat B6 towbar.

jeepster1961
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
hi martin, i gave bought a bypass relay etc from pf jones.

just wonedering about the colours of the wires on the cars loom.

martin1810
01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I have put the wire colours on one of the threads. Can't remember which. The bypass relay method works fine. If you can't find the colours, let me know and I'll look them up again.

jeepster1961
01-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I have put the wire colours on one of the threads. Can't remember which. The bypass relay method works fine. If you can't find the colours, let me know and I'll look them up again.

hi martin, thanks for the response, fitted the bar and electrics today.

It seems to work ok but dont pick up the caravan till monday so wont be 100% sure till then.

Bought this tester thing from maplins and its crap, do you know - is it ok to use one off those screwdrivers with a tester buildt in on the actual towing electrics socket? the bit you plug the caravan into. just wanted to double check all is ok.

i have read that you shouldnt use a test bulb on canbus systems, I also spoke to pf electrics / towbars and a chap there said one wire does the brake lights and rear lights.

also ordered a replacement valance for a detachable bar but it hasnt arrived so have had to butcher the standard one. had hoped to flog that on ebay.
never mind.

thanks for the help and advice

PFJones
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi Jeepster

Thanks for purchasing your Bypass Relay from us, Just for future reference PFJones have an aftersales team that are here to offer assistance.

You can give us a call on 0161 872 4755 or you can use the free phone number located in my signature.

Our website has instructions for Wiring Towbar Electrics (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/advice-centre-/tow-bar-advice/tow-bar-electrics.html)

Here is a diagram for the bypass relay.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/images/cms/Bypass.jpg

Scott
P.F.Jones Support Team.

martin1810
05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
"Bought this tester thing from maplins and its crap, do you know - is it ok to use one off those screwdrivers with a tester buildt in on the actual towing electrics socket? the bit you plug the caravan into. just wanted to double check all is ok."

A bulb type tester is the only way to be sure the trailer plug connections are wired properly.

chrisbower
10-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Tried an off-the-shelf bypass relay - did not work - :( so I designed one from some Maplin bits. Circuit attached. The signal taps are made from 2 x 1k0 972 764 - 2 x 1k0 972 774 - 4 x 000 979 151 E and 4 x 000 979 134 A. Three signal wires are needed - Brake/Tail and the Left and Right indicators. Don't like Lucar taps - especially on the thin wires they use in the loom for LED lights but I did use one to take the 12V supply from the cigarette lighter. I found that the Brake/Tail connection (opposite end of the connector from Brown ground) is 2.1V for tail lights and 12V for brake lights so comparators look for >1.2V and >6V. The ULN2003A is no longer stocked by Maplin - they just happened to have one on the shelf - but you can find them elsewhere. At 6A per pole and paralleled up the relays are overkill but I did not want them sticking - DC is funny stuff... I also used a couple of veroboard tracks for the 12V bus to the relays as the tracks are only good for about 3A. The 100K resistors and the high imedance LM339N in the input circuit limit the drain to < 50 uA and the VW control unit doesn't see it. The capacitor smooths out the tail light signal which scintilates and makes the relay rattle. The unit draws a quiescent current of <3mA and could run straight off the battery but I used the cigarette lighter socket because it is off the ignition switch.
In the pic the Witter buzzer that came with the towbar electrics is stuck onto the ABS box with some self-adhesive Velcro. I also stuck the box onto the floor behind the RH rear interior panel with it. Please note - do not try to feed the Witter 7-way wire through the handy looking grommets under the bar (that way madness lies...) Use the big plug on the RHS and drill a 9mm hole in it to receive the cable - see photo.
Usual disclaimer: if you use the design it is at your risk. But it worked for me.