PDA

View Full Version : What Indication Do You Have That the TPMS is Working

Bratty
27-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Went to check my tyre pressures the other day (after quite a long time:o) and they were WAY!!!! under even the lower recommended. But the Fronts were a bit higher than the Backs, so I would have suspected that I would have got some sort of warning? But No:confused:.

What happens when you switch on your ignition (normally the warning light array shows system functioning ie. ESP etc (on the REV counter) but does the TPMS symbol flash up?

Cheers Dunk

MFGF
27-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi,

I'd assume that if the tyres lost pressure gradually and evenly, there would be no discernable rotational difference between the four wheels for the ABS sensors to detect in order to flag up an anomaly. I haven't managed to enable TPMS (yet!) on my A6, so I can't comment on whether the TPMS light should illuminate when the ignition is first switched on, although there are one or two other B8 drivers on here who do have the system enabled, so they should be able to advise on this.

Cheers!

MF.

ScottyUK
27-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Someone on a forum let loads of air out and then drove to prove it worked. Apart from that you just have to believe in it ;)

GolferPete
27-04-2010, 06:25 PM
As MFGF suggests (he should know:beerchug:) I am a B8 owner with after-market TPMS through VAGCOM.

I've just been out to check, and on switching on the ignition, nothing likewise on starting the engine.

Refer to Pages 252-254 of the A4 Owners manual.

Cheers MFGF:biglaugh:

Bratty
27-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Cheers for the prompt responses, I just find it wierd that if the fronts are at a different (substantially!) pressure from the rears that there is no indication! And I would agree that if all four are dropping simaltaneously then it might not register.

Also I just realised the other day that AUDI UK swapped my Rev Counter and Speedo when converting it to UK Spec and because knowone could tell me what exactly had been altered, I had the German Garage just change the Speedo:(. Now after 10 months I have discovered that the aftermarket rev counter dial has no visible TPMS symbol (but it is almost impossible to see it even with a very bright light) luckily I still have the original.

Dunk