PDA

View Full Version : A5 2.0 TDI not starting

Rob O
27-04-2010, 03:37 PM
My 9 month old A5 2.0 TDI S Line with MMI has an intermittent starting fault. Put the key fob in and press and rev counter and speedo needles turn as if it is about to start, but nothing happens. Taking the key fob out and putting it in several times eventually works. Dealer has reprogrammed key fobs, but it is still doing it, but unfortunately not all the time.

Also, minor but annoying, the speedo and rev counter lights seem to have a life of their own. They switch off and on at random.

Any thoughts anyone?

Many thanks

baylissboy
28-04-2010, 07:07 PM
When you try to start the car do you get any message on the DIS, ie "press clutch to start"?

You may not have the clutch pressed all the way down.

Or, you may be switching the ignition off before the car's had time to start. Audi have recently changed the start sequence. When A5 & new A4 first came out, if you'd got the clutch pressed the engine would crank, even if the glow plugs weren't upto temp. Now what happens is, the engine control unit won't allow the starter to operate until the glow plugs etc are ready.

So the best thing to do is, press the clutch, insert & press the key (you don't need to hold the key in), then wait for the engine to crank (on a cold morning there could be a delay of upto 2-3 seconds), then the engine should start!

a8 tech
28-04-2010, 07:27 PM
defective ignition key slot.
defective dash insert

Rob O
29-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for advice baylissboy. Have noticed in hand book that you are also supposed to put gear lever into neutral as well as pressing the clutch to start, so am now doing that. At the moment it is starting OK, but have also noticed that on some occasions after unlocking car, MMI comes on before I actually put key fob into the slot. Garage reprogrammed keys when problem first occurred, but it did not cure it. As a8 tech has suggested, it could be a defective dash insert. Will have to wait until it starts to do it again.

Many thanks for both bits of advice.

RedZed2009
13-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Also, minor but annoying, the speedo and rev counter lights seem to have a life of their own. They switch off and on at random.

Any thoughts anyone?

Many thanks

Hi Rob, I have abrand new A5 2.0TDI and the speedo and rev counter lights also seem to have a life of their own... have you figured out why they come on and off by them selves... anything to do with the 'power regeneration system' !?!?... seems very odd to me.

Rob O
13-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi Rob, I have abrand new A5 2.0TDI and the speedo and rev counter lights also seem to have a life of their own... have you figured out why they come on and off by them selves... anything to do with the 'power regeneration system' !?!?... seems very odd to me.
Still have no idea why the rev counter and speedo lights go on and off - they are still doing it. There seems to be no logic for it, so I am just putting up with it. Will try and get it looked at when it is serviced - whenever that may be !!

Rob O
24-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Starting problem and several other electrical problems now solved - faulty battery, now replaced

Rob O