PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting

e6m6a6
27-04-2010, 01:32 PM
does anyone know the new law for window tinting?

when i last looked into it you could have as dark as you want from the b pillar back but now iv been told different

If for example i have limo black on my rear windows including boot i must have my fronts the very lightest tint they do or non at all :confused:

Due to when the back is completely blacked out it affects the UV % on the front so therefor you have to compensate and get almost nothing at all on the the front two and that to me will just look daft

*as i think it would look class with the paint work been black, rears tinted and red vwaudi forum sticker at the top of my boot :)*

Chappers
29-04-2010, 07:55 AM
The windscreen must allow 75% of light through and front door glass 70%. Most cars are near this limit as standard. We use a device called a Tintman at work, as do VOSA to measure the amount of light that can pass through the glass. The darkness of the rear glass makes no difference to the Tintman reading, we can also use it when its dark.
Its basically a device fitted inside 2 magnets which fit either side of the glass. One shines a light beam and the other side reads its strength and the result is displayed on a digi display.
The penalty for over tinted front windows ranges from £60 fine to £60 fine + 3 points to a vehicle prohibition.
As far as i know and i will check later today the rears can be as dark as you like.

HTH Paul

e6m6a6
29-04-2010, 12:46 PM
thats roughy about what i heard a while back and that was what i was intending to do untill i went for get a quote and got told about new rules

but i dont see why i cant have the back windows as dark as i want, i dont even need to have back windows so surly they dont really come into the equation:confused:

NickPicks
29-04-2010, 02:07 PM
All the information I can see with a quick google and search on the dft and vosa websites says that from the B pillar back, there's no limit.

As Chappers says, the test for tint on the front windows won't be affected by the rear windows. Logically, if it was affected, then all transit vans would fail because they don't have windows from the B pillar back.

I can't find any reference to new legislation, apart from that which was new in 2004

http://www.4youngdrivers.co.uk/modifying-laws/window-tinting-laws.htm

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Tinted%20Windows%20Oct%202008.pdf

If the window tint company think differently to this, perhaps you need to find a more knowledgeable company?

e6m6a6
29-04-2010, 05:32 PM
thanks guys, i think ill be taking my car elsehwere for tints...plus he wanted close enough to £300 out of me just for the back windows and boot :confused:

Saying that my boot will cost alot as the glass is curved...how many cars now-a-days do you see with a totaly flat boot other then obviously a van?!

peza82
13-05-2010, 02:31 PM
i work in car insurance and as far as i know you can have whatever you want on the the back and rear windows, but since 1st jan 2004 you cannot have anything on the front.

i had a quote for my rear and sides done at £100 :biglaugh: very happy

sooty
17-05-2010, 04:40 AM
i work in car insurance and as far as i know you can have whatever you want on the the back and rear windows, but since 1st jan 2004 you cannot have anything on the front.

The law is that the front side windows can be tinted up to 30% however on newer cars you will find that the manufacture gives them a very slight tint so if you was to tint it then you would take it over the legal limit.

presnakov
07-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Hi there mate,can you share where did u get ur windows done 4 100pounds-that is cheap.Thanks in advance;)