PDA

View Full Version : Help, setting timing on Intake cam

shaf1
25-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi, I've had to change the head gakset on a friends Passat 1.8 20vT. To get the head skimmed the cams had to come out. I had no instructions in the haynesmanual about the cam shaft so marked their positions before and made sure they were back in the postion afterwards. But of course I did not realise it has variable intake timing and it has adjusted itself away fromt he correct timing.

Can anyone explain to me how to set the intake timing correctly?
Also is there a way of adjusting it without taking the chain tensioner off? I couldn't find an obvious way.

Please note, Iam NOT talking about the timing belt runnign the exhaust cam. This is fine, it is the chain on the intake cam where it seems to be out by a tooth.

Please please help!

Shaf

matta4
25-04-2010, 11:19 AM
There should be grooves on the cams at the back of the engine and little arrows on the end cap. these must be 16 links apart it is hard to explain without a picture as on the exhaust cam the chain link sits slightly before the mark. you will also need the tool to compress the tensioner do not over compress it though or you will break it and tensioners are not cheap i would search the forum for a how to or google it. you really need a picture to understand how to do it if you cant find one here try this its same enginehttp://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240036

shaf1
25-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I know what you mean by the grooves. I used those to work out where the cam was. but had no info on the number of links, so thanks you've been most helpful.

Now need to find a way to compress the tensioner. Does anyone have a special trick or do I absolutely need a special tool?

Shaf

matta4
25-04-2010, 02:05 PM
The proper tool is available from the dealer its less than £10 its best to use it as the tensioner is around £200 plus. The tool required is no 3366

shaf1
06-05-2010, 11:03 PM
The proper tool is available from the dealer its less than £10 its best to use it as the tensioner is around £200 plus. The tool required is no 3366

I have come to the conclusion that the VW dealers (at least the ones here) are money grabbing Ba57ards. They refused to sell me a tool unless I was a certified garage and I would haveto subscribe to VW technical info service for a minimum of 12 months.

Bought the tool off ebay in the end. But then missed the bit in the instructions that said don't over tighten. Found out the hard way that you can't create enough slack without taking out the intake cam.

Something that is a bit unclear in the instructions is the bit about 16 rollers. I have now (Having bought a second tool) set the cams with 16 rollers between the two notches. But I think it is now out the other way. I think the 16 rollers apart means 15 rollers between the notches. Mine was 14.

Sonow Ihave to take it all apart again. Starting to get fed up of this car.

matta4
06-05-2010, 11:43 PM
it is 16 pins from mark to mark. The chain link pin on the exhaust cam sits slightly to the left of the mark on the cam then count 16 pins the 16th pin must sit directly above the mark.Make sure the mark on the exhaust cam lines up with the little arrow then ensure you have 16 links between them dont worry if the inlet cam mark doesnt line up perfectly with the little arrow as long as its 16 pins between the marks on the cams.when the engine is running and the tensioner is working it will line up .have you read the fault codes?