PDA

View Full Version : Please Help stuttering while going uphill

DropKickMurphy
24-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi all,

my plans to go to silverstone today were thwarted when my scirocco developed an annoying stutter and loss of power when tdriving uphill. it didnt affect the car when on the flat or downhill, but going up the M3 where there are several long uphill sections the car was juddering and losing power.

if i came off the accelerator it would stop juddering, and if i floored it it got a lot worse.

the fuel filter looks clean and i have given it a generous dose of carb cleaner now i'm home but i'm wondering if its the start of a serious problem.

the car has a weber carb and has been tuned by the previous owner with a hot cam and flywheel amongst other things and idles at about 1400-1600rpm.

i appreciate that as its non-standard its going to be harder to diagnose the issue but any pointers would be welcomed.

its a 1989 GT2 with the 1781cc engine, from looking at previous posts it sounds like it might be carb icing (strange at this time of year, tho this might be affected by the cold air feed fitted) or a blocked fuel tank pickup. how might i be able to check if the pickup is blocked?

also, what should i look for in the filler neck?

DKM

DropKickMurphy
26-04-2010, 12:17 PM
OK i have had a look at thefiller neck and it looks fine, i have ruled out carb icing due to the symptoms and am now getting suspicious of the fuel pump as it was a high revs/high load problem.

could it be the fuel pump isnt up to the job? can i fit an uprated pump to cope with this and does the pump live in the tank like a MK3 golf or is it in-line? new pumps look to be quite cheap from GSF, whats it like fitting them?

i have cleaned the carb using aerosol cleaner and put a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner in the tank and i couldnt get the car to repeat the trick on sunday, but would rather the issue didnt come back.

DKM

DropKickMurphy
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM
right, it seems that the carb had got a bit clogged up and wasnt happy under load. i gave it a dose of carb cleaner and will repeat every 1000 miles or so as a precaution but it seems to be fine now.

has been a while since i owned a car running on carburettors and i have got a bit too used to maintenance free injection systems.

DKM