PDA

View Full Version : Seat Toledo Mk3 Constant Limp Mode

henno2000
23-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Seat Toledo Mk3 Constant Limp Mode
Hi, wondered if anyone can diagnose my problem?

I have a 2006 Mk3 Seat Toledo. Was running fine until today, when suddenly lost power (above 3000 rpm).

I tried turning on/off again, but this seemed to do nothing.

Opening the bonnet, there appeared to be nothing visually wrong with the car, but noticed when the car was revved above 3000 rpm, the pipe on the left hand side of the turbo was compressing and the turbo itself could be heard 'whirring'.

Also, black smoke is coming from the exhaust. (Which I would assume would be because there is not the correct mix of fuel/air).

There is no fault light on the dash.

From reading up on the net, the problem could be the mass airflow sensor as the problem is constant.

Could someone please confirm my prediction, or am I way off the mark? (I am unable to put the car on a diagnostic machine until next week).

Many thanks in advance,
henno2000

Crasher
23-04-2010, 11:15 PM
And the engine is a...?

henno2000
23-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Ooops! It's the 1.9 TDI

Crasher
24-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I would expect it to be a boost issue so first of all you need to get a fault code read carried out.

henno2000
02-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Took the car in, and the turbo was shot.

Replaced it with an uprated Garrett turbo.

Took it out for a spin this weekend, seems fine, but have noticed that when the boost kicks in, the sound of the turbo seems more promenant than usual (IE - a loud spinning sound).

Would this be expected with this type of turbo, or should it be relatively quiet?

Regards,
henno2000

Crasher
03-05-2010, 01:17 PM
What exactly did they fit? You can’t just bang on a different turbo without making other changes. What is your cars engine code, BJB, BXE or BXC?

henno2000
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Not sure of the engine code, by I know that the turbo was taken out and the numbers matched for a suitable replacement.

Could you please explain what the different engine codes mean and what other mods may be required?

Also, would there be any reason why the turbo would seem louder? (To me it sounds like overboost).

Crasher
03-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I don’t know, I need to know the exact Garrett number that was fitted to your car and what your engine code is.