PDA

View Full Version : Question "Volcanic Ash Fallout?"

djmx5
23-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

Whilst not wishing to jump on the bandwagon of this latest disaster responsible for all things airline etc,

But I have just spent a couple of hours washing, drying and then waxing my '05 Passat estate, silver mettalic, to find that my once smooth paintwork (last waxed about 2-3 weeks ago and less than 500 miles) is now all rough to the touch on the flat surfaces (bonnet, roof, top of wings).

Made sure the car had a good hose prior to sponging and a good rinse afterwards. I don't use any wax that has abrasive compound in it.

Is this permanant do you think and is there 'owt I can do about it?

Claybar springs to mind but I've never tried one before.

Ok, thanks
D

winnie070383
29-04-2010, 07:47 AM
not to sure about this stuff, my car was clean so i thourght the other day and we had a few heavy spots of rain so turned the wipers on and it sounded like sandpaper going up the screen :( washed it again after and seems ok, paintwork like you say is not quite as smooth, clay bar and a good wax in order i thinks :D

MalcQV
29-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I have read stories of the ash 'burning' paintwork. There are methods to remove it.
I know one or two people with black cars namely BMW's that the paintwork is visibly marked possibly down to the albeit low levels of sulphur in the ash.
http://www.carsuk.net/volcanic-ash-bad-for-your-cars-paintwork/

paul b
30-04-2010, 07:46 PM
This ash is no problem if you use a clay bar, it'll take all the stuff out.

Just make sure when washing the cars, you rinse them first, otherwise you'll be spreading all the ash into your paintwork! :aargh4: