PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Price

monkeylad
23-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Was looking at a golf and had made my mind up about buying one tommorow, well putting the deposit down.

But after playing around on vw's site realised I can get a Scirocco 1.4 with the automatic engine for pretty much the same price and am now considering doing so, with a little bit of discount im sure it will come out at the same price.....

HOWEVER

im 20 years old been driving for a year and well one word 'INSURANCE'

playing about on compare the market or whatever comparision site it is, with me as main driver managed and my mum dad and sister as additionals I managed to get it down to about £1,800.

Is this for real or will I phone them up and they will be like oh no you cant do that.......does anyone know if i can get insurance on the car for around that price ?

the people quoting me that were admiral and elephant.

thanks in advance

MalcQV
23-04-2010, 12:44 PM
If that is what it says online then it should be OK. Only actually used one once, for my dad on his Mini. He saved over 50%.
I actually think £1800 is f'in ridiculous myself but that is what they charge. Trying to get quotes for my daughter on an old Mazda 121, best I can get is £1300, the car is only worth about £500 :p

At 20 the insurance for a year on my car was 50% appx. of my monthly salary. You on £3600 a month? Probably not. Feckin rip-off.

monkeylad
23-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Ill give them a call tonight....but all week i have been specing out the golf and getting the deposit money together......but now im going to be looking at the scirocco...meant to be test driving the gold aswell.....yer nearly 2k for a years insurance is insane, but i pay about 1k as additional driver on my 1.4 corsa which does 0-60 in about 14 seconds and this does it in 8......go figure really.

Might try and see if they can get a second hand one bring the price down and make insurance bit easier to afford.

Btw im getting excited.

MalcQV
23-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Both great cars especially the Scirocco. I think it is cool at 20 to be buying such a beautiful car. Good luck and I agree today the £1800 is probably good ;)

I just think young'uns are taken for a ride today for insurance compared to when I was a kid (it was all black and white in them days :p).

You should be excited too :D:beerchug:

monkeylad
23-04-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks for that....one more questions

Isit legal to have my mum as main driver on the scirocco and have her as main driver on her own car she has ? and then me and sister and dad as additional driver ?

MalcQV
23-04-2010, 03:54 PM
A good question. I guess it is not strictly illegal as your mum will be the main driver I am sure, however are you positive that there is any difference? I ask because as mentioned previous I am looking for insurance for my daughter and have been told by a friend in the business that insurance companies have got wise to this and base the policy price on the youngest/highest risk driver named on the policy.

It is also not so easy to gain NCB doing it the way you suggest as I think very few companies would register this.
In my daughter's case she will be the main driver.

Good luck :beerchug:

SC03OTT
02-06-2010, 09:31 AM
thanks for that....one more questions

Isit legal to have my mum as main driver on the scirocco and have her as main driver on her own car she has ? and then me and sister and dad as additional driver ?

Not if you are the actual main driver, no.

Are you just using comparison sites? I tried one, and the cheapest came out as Bell with a premium of about £600. I then did some quotes myself and eventually ended up paying Admiral £430. It pays not to be lazy and do the work yourself :)