PDA

View Full Version : GTD Delivery Dates

Hacker59
23-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I ordered a GTD about 5 weeks ago through my company car scheme (LEX) and after a couple of days they came back with a 12th July delivery date. Last week I was contacted by LEX to say that the delivery date had now moved to late August due to problems with supply issues with GTD models. that will just be the 6 months lead time then ! :o

chris.fulton
23-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Sounds about right unfortunately. I ordered mine at the end of January and have a build date of 1st week June and therefore expected delivery around the start of July. The situation doesn't seem to be improving at all

jamief
23-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Well my GT TDI took nearly 7 months, so count yourself lucky! :(

Keithuk
23-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Welcome to VWAudi Hacker59.

Well it sounds about right if you search these forums for deliveries there are plenty of posts. Mine was under the old scrapage scheme which they had to deliver within 20 weeks else the had to supply a courtesy car (if you don't have a car) if they couldn't. Now that has ended I would assume its back to normal. ;)

Vincent Vega
23-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I ordered my GTD on 28th February. The salesman called a couple of weeks ago to say that the car is provisionally scheduled for build week 23 (week commencing 31st May, assuming they count partial weeks from 1st January). If my maths is right, that's around 13 weeks from order to build. Add a week or so to build, three weeks to get to the dealer and a week for them to prepare it and for me to get around collecting it, that's 18 weeks. For a Golf! Do they build one a day or something?

Edit: I see that chris.fulton's car is also scheduled for week 23. Do they build the GTD/GTI/R in batches?

jjh
24-04-2010, 03:33 AM
I ordered a GTD on 29th August for delivery 4th January.
I expect to pick it up in two weeks time.

Keithuk
24-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I ordered a GTD on 29th August for delivery 4th January.
I expect to pick it up in two weeks time.
That is ridiculous. You ordered yours before mine an you pick it up in two weeks time.

I ordered mine on the 19th September and they said 12 weeks, so it would be a nice Christmas present. They rang me last November and said it would be delayed another month because of the popularity of the scrapage scheme, bull. I picked it up on 27th January and the excuse was the GTD and GTi are very popular and they can't keep up with demand. Thats is more plusable but still bad management considering there is a world recession. So the was just over 18 weeks. ;)

Quickest and longest delivery times for your cars? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=78978)

chris.fulton
24-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Was speaking to my dealer today who has told me that my build date has now moved to week 31 :zx11:.

Vincent Vega, have you had any change to your date as both our cars previously had the same build week?

dataconn
25-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Although, not a gtd, mine originally had a build week of 21, then it was moved to 22 (new model year), then brought forward to 16!!!! Its been built and is now waiting at the dealer.

gtd's / gti's are built in batches.

percymon
25-05-2010, 04:30 PM
GTI, GTD and R are built in batches - production dates move about wildly due to other order load and availability of components - flat bottomed steering wheels was the last excuse from VW !

Whilst its annoying having extended waits for cars I think i'd accept a few extra weeks slippage in delivery time if it meant the build week moved into 2011 model build and i gained a few extra features as a result.

Vincent Vega
25-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Was speaking to my dealer today who has told me that my build date has now moved to week 31 :zx11:.

Vincent Vega, have you had any change to your date as both our cars previously had the same build week?

Using the principle "no news is good news", as far as I know my car is still scheduled for week 23 (w/c 7th June - week 1 started on 4th January). My salesman told me that he checks his orders on Tuesday and Thursday, and I haven't heard from him since 11th May, when he told me that I was definitely getting a 2011 model. He's been very good about keeping me informed, and even calls me when there's no news - shockingly good customer service, for once!

During my last conversation (11th May), I was told that the car had been yanked from the build system temporarily as it was a 2011 model, and would be put back in due course. He was pretty certain that this wouldn't affect the build week - in his 6.5 years as a VW salesman, he apparently has never seen the build week shift as a result of a new model year being introduced. Hopefully you might find that week 31 changes - it might just be a placeholder whilst they feed all the cars back into the computer (perhaps they print them out, reformat and add them back in again?) and once they're done, they sort out the build weeks properly.

12 weeks, two days and counting. I'm not holding my breath, to be honest.

(As an aside, it's not just VW with ridiculous lead times - my mum has waited twelve weeks for a fairly run of the mill Renault Clio, made longer by Renault somehow "losing" the car for a brief time, along with four others!)

chris.fulton
26-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Had a further update from the dealer after he contacted VW customer services. They are saying it has moved because of the 2011 spec (as you suggested) but they expect it to return to week 23. He is to call back next week to confirm this so fingers crossed.

spencerchappell
27-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Order my GTD in March and am collecting tomorrow. By all accounts on this thread of long lead-times, my dealer has really pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

- Golf GTD, Candy White, RCD 510, RV camera, flat tyre indicators, Luxury+Storage+Convenience pack, rear side airbags and 18" Vancouvers, Baby!.

chris.fulton
27-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Was yours ordered through the scrappage scheme?

spencerchappell
27-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Was yours ordered through the scrappage scheme?

No, not a part of the scrappage scheme. Just a straightforward trade-in order.

Vincent Vega
27-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Please post some photos when you get it!

spencerchappell
27-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Please post some photos when you get it!

Will do.

Vincent Vega
06-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Had a further update from the dealer after he contacted VW customer services. They are saying it has moved because of the 2011 spec (as you suggested) but they expect it to return to week 23. He is to call back next week to confirm this so fingers crossed.

Have you heard anything? I got fed up waiting for an update (three weeks since the last one, and week 23 is this week) so I called my dealer. First they couldn't find the salesman ("outside", apparently, and it took him 90 minutes to find the way inside). When he eventually called me back (12:10) he confessed he hadn't checked the system on Thursday as he said (repeatedly) that he did, and that he hadn't heard anything since the car was yanked from the system due to being a 2011 model. He said he'd check the system and call me back in "five minutes". Longest five minutes ever: he still hadn't got in contact by 17:30 when I left work.

This has been the first negative experience of this latest car purchase. I'm spending £30K on this car, and it would be nice to think that if someone promises to call you back in five minutes, they would actually do so. Car salesmen (and most of them are men) seem to get away with treating customers like crap. Why do we, the customers, put up with it? I'm not sure I can be bothered chasing him for updates, though I'm sure I'll give in and call him (again).

Sigh.

chris.fulton
06-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I spoke to my saleman on Friday and he told me that my order is still showing as having a week 31 build date. He was waiting for VW to call him back about it and he then promised to call me when he had an update. Will let you know what they say

Vincent Vega
09-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Non-update #3. Having promised he'd call twice now and not done so, I called my dealer in an attempt to speak to my salesman to find out what is happening. Apparently he's on holiday 'til Thursday! Perhaps he's been distracted. Anyway, I eventually spoke to one of the other salesmen, who got me my six digit commission number from the system. He expressed surprise that I was still waiting (over three months now, or 101 days), saying that he would have expected the car to be at the dealer's by this time.

Anyway, I 'phoned VW and got through immediately (surprisingly!). I got asked for my last name, first name, post code, address, supplying dealer, supplying dealer's address, salesman's name, order date, expected date of delivery ("July or August", I said, vaguely), the type of car and the number of doors. And, then, paraphrased, "We'll call you back within the next twenty four hours with a status update".

It takes twenty four hours to type six digits in and read a line of text? Oh dear.

On other forums (Golf GTI forum UK) I note that other people waiting for GTIs/GTDs have had theirs confirmed as being built this week. But still I wait, not knowing what's going on. Not knowing is the worst bit.

:aargh4:

Vincent Vega
10-06-2010, 09:08 AM
And, having spoken to VW customer services this morning, I no longer have a build week at all. It's been like this since the 11th of May - over four weeks. The person I spoke to couldn't explain why my car was previously week 23 and is now in purgatory (i.e. why it had a build week before and now does not), and couldn't explain what was happening or would happen in the future.

What a farce. Perhaps it's time to think about cancelling my order.

andyCYM
10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
And, having spoken to VW customer services this morning, I no longer have a build week at all. It's been like this since the 11th of May - over four weeks. The person I spoke to couldn't explain why my car was previously week 23 and is now in purgatory (i.e. why it had a build week before and now does not), and couldn't explain what was happening or would happen in the future.

What a farce. Perhaps it's time to think about cancelling my order.

That sounds like a **** up. If you're ordering through a lease company it would be worth getting them on to it if you haven't already. Don't cancel in haste - the car is worth waiting for!

Vincent Vega
11-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately, I'm ordering as a private individual. I sent a stroppy letter to VW today. I doubt it'll make any difference, or that their answer will be anything other than "we are very sorry but can't guarantee when cars are built and we hope you don't cancel", but at least I got to vent a bit.

As I said in my letter, I don't mind waiting, it's just the lack of information and the strange way in which things are proceeding: one minute, it has a build week, and the next, it's not even scheduled to be built. And no-one can tell me when this might change. Come Sunday, it'll be 15 weeks since I ordered! 15 weeks and not a build week to be seen!

chris.fulton
12-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I phoned my dealership yesterday. Couldn't speak to my usual salesman as he was on holidays but did get to speak to one of the others. My car is now showing as week 32 build week. It's starting to get a bit ridiculous now, at this rate I'll b expecting delivery at the end of august or start of September and that's having placed the order at the end of January

Vincent Vega
12-06-2010, 07:48 PM
There seems to be a theme developing:

1. We both ordered GTDs.
2. We were both scheduled for week 23.
3. Now we are not.
4. Both our salesmen are on holiday (mine told me he was married, but you never know).

Perhaps they just forgot to build our cars.

jjh
13-06-2010, 01:14 AM
relax guys, try and enjoy the wait, you have no better alternative.
I ordered mine August 09 for delivery Jan 10, got it in May, thats 9 months.
Well worth the wait though....if your a music lover Ihope you went for the upgrade.. ACC is the best option I choose..standard wheels are just fine....

Keithuk
13-06-2010, 11:20 AM
I ordered mine August 09 for delivery Jan 10, got it in May, thats 9 months.

I've said before (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=509908&postcount=7) that is ridiculous. Were you using the old scrappage scheme? ;)

Gerryf
14-06-2010, 12:15 PM
There seems to be a theme developing:

1. We both ordered GTDs.
2. We were both scheduled for week 23.
3. Now we are not.
4. Both our salesmen are on holiday (mine told me he was married, but you never know).

Perhaps they just forgot to build our cars.

It's not just a GTD specific problem Vincent.......originally my petrol DSG model was destined for week 23 build but that's now been moved to week 25 so the earliest I can expect the car is mid July....whatta a bad start to VW ownership !

I ordered the car on the 18th of Febuary....Grrrr !

If my car doesn't arrive by the 15th of July then I'll simply cancel.

rachelisadog
14-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Sorry to jump in but i ordered the 2nd golf (after the 1st one wasn't right) on the 28/3 and it was collected from dealer, 28/5.
Strange the way things work......(mine's an SE though so perhaps they were, getting rid before the Match)

sr1976
15-06-2010, 06:51 PM
I ordered my GTD last week of March, should be built this week with delivery by mid-July. But my lease company has given me estimates of anything between 8 and 20 weeks so far so god knows when it'll turn up! :confused:

Vincent Vega
17-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Some news! Unfortunately, not the "good" kind, more the "informational" type.

I called my dealer today, and he has actually been able to find out why my car is still on hiatus (he checked his system this morning, and there is no build week). After previous shortages of RCD510s and steering wheels, there is now a shortage of DSG gearboxes! So he's not expecting anything to happen until this shortage is resolved. He is going to get his "brand director" to call me at some point, to let me know what's going on.

On a slightly different topic, he also mentioned that as it is almost sixteen (!) weeks since I ordered, I would now be entitled to a hire car. I said I didn't mind giving up my Mini (awful car - I'll be glad to see the back of it), but he did that I didn't have to worry about any loss of value, and neither would they, as VW would cover the amount due to my car being delayed, and in any event I'd probably end up with something like a Golf 1.4 S, so not to bother. So I won't.

chris.fulton
17-06-2010, 02:48 PM
I suppose it's good to have an actual reason for the delay at least, although I find it a bit strange that I have also ordered the DSG gearbox on my GTD but I do have a build date on the system, albeit week 32 now

chris.fulton
21-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Got a call from my salesman today. He says that upon checking the order system my car is now showing as build date week 33. He has apologised for the delay and has said about the shortage of DSG gearboxes as well. He assures me that he is in regular contact with VW about the order but is getting very frustrated at their lack of information, apparently all they keep telling him is "keep checking the screen".

He has also said that the dealership is currently not taking any new orders for GTD's or GTI's until the ridiculous waiting times get sorted out. The wait continues....

percymon
21-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Interesting..

this afternoon there were no automatic gearboxes listed ont he configurator against the 'normal' golf models - manual only for everything from the 1.2TSI 85bhp S right through to 140bhp TDI GT.

go to the GTI and GTD pages and it is still available on the configurator ??

I know there are different variants of the DSG but the website seems to contradict the info the dealers are relaying to customers ?

sr1976
04-07-2010, 08:08 AM
GTD with metallic paint, sat nav, cruise control, ordered end march and i pick it up next friday so just under 16 weeks from order

Vincent Vega
04-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Manual or auto?

Keithuk
04-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I could give my comments about DSG drivers but I wouldn't want to offend. ;)

jjh
04-07-2010, 03:33 PM

no no , please do...what 's your thinking Keit? your not too scared to tell are ya?

Gerryf
04-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Go on Keith give us the benefit of your findings :biglaugh:

Keithuk
04-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Automatic/DSG drivers are generally invalids, I have nothing against invalids they are just easier to drive for them. There used to be a 4% slip in transmission with automatic gearboxes though they have overcome this with the torque convertor lockup, thats why they show a worse fuel economy. I've seen a number of GTI owners with DSG and I wonder why.

The VW DSG as obviously improved as a friend's father at work has a Skoda Octavia 2.0. TDI (140PS) with DSG and he gets better fuel con than my friends Seat Leon 1.9 TDI (150PS). Skoda - 64 mpg, Seat 54 mpg which are both better then mine.

These are my thoughts as everyone has there own opinion. ;)

Gerryf
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Automatic/DSG drivers are generally invalids, I have nothing against invalids they are just easier to drive for them. There used to be a 4% slip in transmission with automatic gearboxes though they have overcome this with the torque convertor lockup, thats why they show a worse fuel economy. I've seen a number of GTI owners with DSG and I wonder why.

The VW DSG as obviously improved as a friend's father at work has a Skoda Octavia 2.0. TDI (140PS) with DSG and he gets better fuel con than my friends Seat Leon 1.9 TDI (150PS). Skoda - 64 mpg, Seat 54 mpg which are both better then mine.

These are my thoughts as everyone has there own opinion.

I really didn't expect such a response.

jjh
04-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Keith, have you driven a car with a DSG box? I assume not because you would have nothing but repsect for the DSG.

The new DGS's are actually turning better fuel economy than manual so you want to get your facts straight before forming such a stern opinion of something you really dont know about?

this might be of interest..a worrying trend for manual lovers..
http://www.dailytech.com/91+Percent+of+2009+MY+Cars+Were+Equipped+With+Auto matic+Transmissions/article18854.htm
it seems there is a worrying increase of invalids..........

each to their own though..all the best..

vc-10
04-07-2010, 05:49 PM
The DSG isn't an automatic. It has a proper 'clutch' system instead of a torque converter and switches between 2 automated 'manual' gearboxes.
The wiki page explains: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

The DSG gearbox gives a theoretical efficiency only slightly less than a 'proper' gearbox, as it saps some power in actual changing of the gears and the fact that it is heavier. However, unlike a conventional automatic, there is a direct link between the wheels and the output shaft on the engine, with no torque converters in sight!

Vincent Vega
04-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I really didn't expect such a response.

This is the internet. What do you expect? Informed, reasoned opinions by sane and rational people? Keith's response speaks more about him than DSG drivers. And not in a positive way, either.

It is nice, though, that Keith doesn't have anything against invalids. Are other groups as fortunate? Blacks? Muslims? Gays? Women? Single parents?

What unfortunate wording. Really, try and think before you post, as you just end up looking foolish . Or just keep your warped views to yourself.

Euphemism.

Berisford
04-07-2010, 06:29 PM
You have to laugh at the old chestnut, fuel economy, when people talk of automatics.

To spend £20-25k on a motor and worry about a little bit of fuel...............

I've bought autos for about 25 years now, even my vans are / have been automatics. Once you've lived with an auto for a few miles you soon see how it's an agreeable way to drive.

However, the so called 'automated clutch' boxes as fitted to many small motors (Toyota, Vauxhall, Honda etc) are just a pile of junk, why they all haven't taken a look at / copied VW's DSG box is anyone’s guess.

I'm waiting on a 1.6DSG and all this reporting of long delays has got me a little worried about my projected October delivery date.

jjh
04-07-2010, 07:16 PM
You have to laugh at the old chestnut, fuel economy, when people talk of automatics.

To spend £20-25k on a motor and worry about a little bit of fuel...............

I've bought autos for about 25 years now, even my vans are / have been automatics. Once you've lived with an auto for a few miles you soon see how it's an agreeable way to drive.

However, the so called 'automated clutch' boxes as fitted to many small motors (Toyota, Vauxhall, Honda etc) are just a pile of junk, why they all haven't taken a look at / copied VW's DSG box is anyone’s guess.

I'm waiting on a 1.6DSG and all this reporting of long delays has got me a little worried about my projected October delivery date.

I'd say its because of something called Patent Law and VAG decision to keep the technology within the Group and will undoubtedly have firm contractual agreement with the supply partner who own some if not all of the interlectual rights of the technology.

For the rest of it, I'd could agree more...people should start referring to DSG boxes as Automated not Automatic. To group them displays ignorance.

Keithuk
04-07-2010, 11:23 PM
I knew it was a bad point to give my opinion on DSG gearboxes as I knew it would stir a load of s**t which its done. You guys know more than me on the mechanical operations of vehicles. :p

The DSG isn't an automatic. It has a proper 'clutch' system instead of a torque converter and switches between 2 automated 'manual' gearboxes.

However, unlike a conventional automatic, there is a direct link between the wheels and the output shaft on the engine, with no torque converters in sight!
Not according to the notes that I have on Audi 6-speed DSG gearbox 09G. I also have the VW 6-speed DSG gearbox 09D as used on the Touareg

It doesn't have a proper clutch it has a torque converter in both gearboxes. The only mention of the clutch is in the convertor lock-up.

You are quite correct I've never driven a car with a DSG gearbox and I'm not going too either. I was going to add a comment in the first post about DSG drivers apart from being an invalid is that they don't like driving. You will have to wait a long time for the fully automatic car where you just get in programme you destination on the sat nav and it takes you there ALL automatically.

Actually I don't think our comments are fair to the original poster as he's just telling when he's expecting his GTD. If you want a DSG argument then I suggest you make a new topic. ;)

jjh
04-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Automatic/DSG drivers are generally invalids,
(That's an outragous statement to make and highly inaccurate and offensive, tut tut!.) I have nothing against invalids, (yeah sounds like it, you lack respect in my opinion)..they are just easier to drive for them. There used to be a 4% slip in transmission with automatic gearboxes though they have overcome this with the torque convertor lockup, what has that got to do with anything? thats why they show a worse fuel economy not true, get your facts straight. I've seen a number of GTI owners with DSG and I wonder why. So, why not try one before completely rubbishing what clearly many drivers prefer? are you not even tempted to try one? so you can form a proper opinion? Otherwise you just dont know what your talking about.

The VW DSG has obviously improved of course they have, that surely cant be surprising, if is to be expected...as a friend's father at work has a Skoda Octavia 2.0. TDI (140PS) with DSG and he gets better fuel con than my friends Seat Leon 1.9 TDI (150PS). Skoda - 64 mpg, Seat 54 mpg which are both better then mine.

Having an opinion should always be encouraged but it really helps if you know what your talking about and you my friend clearly dont.

You wrote ''Actually I don't think our comments are fair to the original poster as he's just telling when he's expecting his GTD.
(But it is your inaccuracy that brought the posts, you really need to get your facts straight before posting)
If you want a DSG argument then I suggest you make a new topic...

No one wants an agreement, if you have a problem with people who feel the need to correct mis-information, its your not ours.

Keithuk
05-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Having an opinion should always be encouraged but it really helps if you know what your talking about and you my friend clearly dont.

No one wants an agreement, if you have a problem with people who feel the need to correct mis-information, its your not ours.
All info that I post is correct. Just because you read something on the web doesn't make you an expert, thats if you believe what you read.

What makes you the mechanical genius? There is nothing in your profile. ;)

jjh
05-07-2010, 12:48 AM
All info that I post is correct. Just because you read something on the web doesn't make you an expert, thats if you believe what you read.

What makes you the mechanical genius? There is nothing in your profile. ;)

All the info you post is not correct. You state that DSG is less economical than a manual and DSG owners are generally invalids; that's bullshiit, you seem to have a inability to accept the truth, its as though you are deluded by your own ignorance. Even when you are corrected you ignore it, you dont even comment, you see only what suites you and you should know better in your line of work...

Obviously 'just because you read something on the web doesnt make you an expert' , No shhit sherlock..
Where do I imply that I am a mechanical genius? Would it take a mechanical genius to comment here before you could stand corrected?

Try reading this...you'll probably doubt the source and the contents though...maybe there's typos all through the article...yeah you know best..
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/dsg

BTW, there's nothing in your profile that warns people that you are a genius typest, of bullsh.... Stanier. ;)

Keithuk
05-07-2010, 01:54 AM
All the info you post is not correct. You state that DSG is less economical than a manual.

No you had better read that again, I wasn't talking about DSG only general autoboxes. You see only what suites you.

There used to be a 4% slip in transmission with automatic gearboxes though they have overcome this with the torque convertor lockup, thats why they show a worse fuel economy.

Try reading this...you'll probably doubt the source and the contents though...maybe there's typos all through the article....
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/dsg

BTW, there's nothing in your profile that warns people that you are a genius typest, of bullsh....;)
Ok I admit I was wrong about the clutches only. I obviously don't have the technical info on the newer gearboxes, my fault.

BTW, there's nothing in your profile that warns people that you are a genius typest, of bullsh....;)
Well its there. I think you may need reading lessons or glasses. ;)

jjh
05-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Well done, you admit your errors, as I do.

However, I dont need reading lessons or glasses but an ignore button......good night..

vc-10
05-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Lets not get in a massive argument here....

On the Golf, according to the official figures on vw.co.uk, the 1.4TSI engines get better efficiency with the DSG, while the others with it get almost the same efficiency. This would not be seen on anything with a torque converter. I'm sure that the marketing standards agency would say that it's illegal to market DSG as double clutch if it was actually double torque converter!

Edit: Just thought, could this be due to the Diesels having the 6-speed box while the TSI petrols have the 7 speed one?

Gerryf
05-07-2010, 08:35 AM
On inquiry, I was told my car is sitting in Ebden so understandably I'm beginning to get excited :approve:

sr1976
06-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Manual, its through a lease company as a company car, dont know if that makes any difference or if they get preferential treatment?

Vincent Vega
07-07-2010, 07:00 PM
It just gets worse and worse, and more farcical by the minute.

Yesterday, I contacted the dealer in an attempt to get an update. It is now over 18 weeks since I ordered. The salesman was off, ill, so I spoke to someone else. He said he'd have a look for me and call me back.

When a dealer says "I'll call you back", they mean that won't, and that you'll end up calling them. So I did, later that afternoon. Unfortunately, the individual concerned was on the phone, so I left a message. And surprise - he didn't call.

Stuff it, I thought. I'll contact VW directly. So I did, this morning.

On the phone with VW; I was asked for a few details and transferred to a "case manager". I must be important! (Or something.) He said that the person previously dealing with my situation had left, and that he had only just got the file. So he'd need to contact the dealer and VW's "brand support" department and find out what was happening. He said he'd call me back.

I get home tonight, turn on my old phone just in case, and there's a message from VW. The bloke had contacted brand support, the dealer and the marketing department (eh?) and no-one had got any idea what was going on. Excellent! He continued, telling me that the dealer will probably have to reorder the car, but he'd do a bit more poking around and call me back (on the wrong number, no doubt) on Friday when he's back in the office.

I listened to the message again, and my new phone rings. It's my dealer. I answer, and it's the sales manager, no less. She tells me that she's been looking into things, as my salesman has now left (ill yesterday, left today!). She has been in contact with VW to find out what has happened, and all indications are that VW has messed up and the order has not been fulfilled. The car previously had a build week, this passed without it being built, so brand support got involved. She also mentioned that another customer had been similarly affected, but didn't mention a timescale, nor the type of vehicle.

The most likely course of action is that the dealer will indeed have to re-order the car. The current wait is twelve weeks (so, October, unless they screw up yet again). But all is not lost - oh no! - as I am entitled to a courtesy car as it's been over 16 weeks. Said car would be of a comparable spec to the one that I ordered. Colour me sceptical: GTDs are rare beasts indeed - do they really have them lying around, unused?

For my part, I started by asking what on earth had happened. Answer: she doesn't know until she speaks to Volkswagen. I stated that as I'd been messed around, I would expect a goodwill gesture from VW and/or the dealer (ACC would be nice, but I didn't mention that). I also stated that I was thinking of cancelling, as I didn't think that VW deserved my money; if I did cancel, I said that I would expect a full refund. She didn't object to this.

At this point, she emphasised (again) that it was VW at fault, but the dealer felt responsible anyway, as they wanted me to have a positive experience (bit late for that now) and to end up happy in the car I wanted. She is going to speak to VW tomorrow and speak to me thereafter to decide on a course of action. I am not sure whether she expects to speak to the case manager, as he's off!

So, yeah. Great.

I am really unsure of how to proceed. I really, really wanted this car, and it's turning into a nightmare. Is it really worth waiting a total of 30 weeks or more for it? To top it all, I saw its twin this morning (GTD, five door, 17" wheels, Carbon Grey) and it looked fabulous. There are very few cars that I like, so choosing something else might be a bit difficult.

jamief
07-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Your courtesy car will be "comparable" in that it'll be a 3/5 door hatchback. Europcar provide the car, and in my experience it'll be either a Golf 1.6 S or a Puegeot 307 or similar.

jjh
07-07-2010, 08:15 PM
. Is it really worth waiting a total of 30 weeks or more for it?

I feel for you Vincent. Mine took alot more the 30 weeks to arrive. I'm glad I waited though, its great. Stick with it if you can......all good things come to those who wait so they say.....or maybe VW can find you a used one with a big spec instead...nothing like new though...

andyCYM
09-07-2010, 11:48 AM
There are very few cars that I like, so choosing something else might be a bit difficult.

What a mess. If I were you - reorder, ask for more than just ACC (although there's not much missing from your intended spec) and get the best you can out of VW, including a loan car if you need it.

Having driven mine for five months & 8500 miles, IMO the GTD really is the business, I don't think there's anything like it. If mine got nicked today I'd wait 6 months for another, no hesitation.

Getting any new car is going to involve something of a wait, so you may as well wait for what you really want.

That said, I'd be very tempted to get VW to search for a used one, the car does improve after a few thousand miles.

Good luck.

Gerryf
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
It just gets sillier and sillier, the PR dept have just informed me that my car is in transit to Sherness and that I should be united with the car in 3 or 4 weeks time.....They beggar belief :zx11:

Vincent Vega
09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Today's bunch of silliness from me is that (drum roll) they have now found the order! Truly bizarre. VW brand support gave the dealer a lame explanation, mentioning vaguely that DSG gearbox shortages helped contribute, but not actually explaining what happened, nor why an order that was "lost" two days ago should now be found. The dealer still has no idea what happened at VW. Sigh.

Anyway, the car is now scheduled for build week 37, which is week commencing 13/09. Add a week for build, three weeks for them to ship and a week for the dealer to prepare it (fit mud flaps, door protective strips) and we're looking at mid-October (possibly the 15th). Bit of a pain, as I was hoping to get it before the nights start getting darker.

The sales manager promised me weekly updates from herself (we'll see how long that lasts), and a courtesy car from early September when my insurance and tax run out on my Mini. VW were pushing to get me into a Polo; the dealer objected to this, but I said I didn't mind, as it keeps an element of surprise for when I finally take delivery. Eight and a half months after ordering my mass-produced hatchback from the third largest automotive group on the planet.

I mentioned that in our previous conversation I was expecting a goodwill gesture and asked the sales manager what she could offer. She mentioned the £250 service pack, and asked if I had ordered it. No, I replied, and she agreed to give it to me for free. I didn't want to risk pushing the order back by adding ACC, which is more a "nice to have" than an essential.

So there we are. Conclusion: VW are a bunch of incompetent half-wits, whose only saving grace is that they make nice, desirable cars, and none of their competitors' offerings appeal to me.

Keithuk
09-07-2010, 08:41 PM
and we're looking at mid-October (possibly the 15th). Bit of a pain, as I was hoping to get it before the nights start getting darker.
But the nights started getting darker from the 21st June Vincent. ;)

Gerryf
12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Update : my dealer tells me my car has left Ebden and is in transit ...it's expected to go through Customs 25/07/10 so I should be sitting in it anon.

I'm ok with definite's but indefinites wind me up no end.

Berisford
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Update : my dealer tells me my car has left Ebden and is in transit ...it's expected to go through Customs 25/07/10 so I should be sitting in it anon.

I'm ok with definite's but indefinites wind me up no end.

Crikey!, another 13 days, is the ship coming via Murmansk or what?

And what's with the 'customs' thing? Someone should tell VW that we've done away with all that 'customs' business now that we are all friends again.

I suspect your dealer has some ******** under his shoes. ;)

Hacker59
12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Just heard my GTD should be in dealers by 12th September.:beerchug:

Not holding my breath though, as there have been other delays.

Gerryf
12-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Crikey!, another 13 days, is the ship coming via Murmansk or what?

And what's with the 'customs' thing? Someone should tell VW that we've done away with all that 'customs' business now that we are all friends again.

I suspect your dealer has some ******** under his shoes. ;)

You ain't far off the mark Berisford :biglaugh: it's just that I'm past the point of caring.

Gerryf
12-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Just heard my GTD should be in dealers by 12th September.:beerchug:

Not holding my breath though, as there have been other delays.

Fingers crossed for you Hacker :beerchug:

Vincent Vega
31-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Update time. Oh boy. This one's a stinker.

I managed to find myself a contact at VW, who promised to look into my wayward order. Through my contact, I have learned that the order was not placed after my visit to the dealer in February. It was actually placed in July (four months later), which explains the delay. Certain "irregularities" occurred on the part of the salesman, including my order, which have led to his departure from the dealer. Once the irregularities came to light, the order was placed. I was not told of this; the sales manager at the dealer told me that the order had been lost and then found again. There was no mention of it never having been placed.

I have sent letters to VW UK, the dealer principal, the dealer group boss and company secretary and the sales manager, in an attempt to obtain a proper explanation of events. In all likelihood, I will be cancelling the order and either going to another VW franchise or defecting to another marque. Suffice it to say, the dealer and their representatives have deceived me since day one, and I am not at all happy.

Gerryf
31-07-2010, 09:40 PM
You must be really *issed off with VW's behavior VG, can't say I blame you if you opt for a marque of integrity.

If it weren't for the wife, I'd have told 'em where to stick their car long ago :zx11:

dcdick
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Not a GTD but I ordered my 1.4 tsi se on 18th feb & by end of june had been given 3 build dates then a phone call to say that build date was "uncertain":mad:

Went to the dealer to cancel & by "lucky chance" a customer had cancelled his car the previous night & my name was "in the book" to be called that very day to see if I was interest in the car :p
The only difference was colour (orig order dk grey mettalic, this one dk blue pearlescent)

When I asked the salesman if he really did think I believed in fairys, he at least had the grace to look uncomfortable !

I got my car, & a discount as it was by then "old" spec but I think it may well have left somebody else waiting (although they will get the "match" version when it arrives)

VW have got a lot of problems with production & as a result all the salesmen are crying about not being able to get new cars & the commission that goes with them

To me it looks like a lottery for car delivery & in my case putting pressure on the dealer found a car within 30 mins of walking into the showroom

Just my experience with one car ;)

Vincent Vega
01-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Gerryf: not so much VW, more the dealer. The initial deceit was bad enough, but they deceived me again afterwards, by pretending that there was an order and that it had been "lost" and then "found". Simply put, the sales manager lied to me, repeatedly. This being a dealer that likes to trumpet its standards of service and the recognition it's had from VW.

In the meantime, I wonder how much value my Mini has lost?

It's not the break-in at the Watergate that brought Richard Nixon down, it was the cover-up afterwards.

Gerryf
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi VG, most of the fibs that were run by me were uttered by the salesman but he IMO is VW's representative.

Anyway, my grievance is way down the ladder in comparison to yours
I.E. you'll suffer consequential loss if you walk away.

I think it's time for you to threaten the dealer with involving a Solicitor seeing as no good will gestures are forthcoming.

Hopefully VW will offer you a superior car anon :beerchug:....I'm talking the next model up from yours in double quick time.

Vincent Vega
03-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I was contacted today by the "escalation team" at VW and by the dealer principal. The former told me they were investigating, whilst the latter requested I pop over and visit the dealership. This afforded me an opportunity to leave work early so I took it.

Before going, I was after an explanation and an apology. I got both. The car was originally ordered in mid-March, when a GTD slot was free, but during a reorganisation of waiting orders, VW managed to lose it. Apparently this happens a few times a year, so the result was that the car had to be re-ordered.

The DP did recognise that they'd been quite poor on the communication front, and at keeping promises and apologised for this. His apology seemed genuine, and I was satisfied with it. So I'm not cancelling. Come September, they'll be sticking me in a '60 plate Polo until my car (finally) arrives. I also got to choose a few goodies from the accessories catalogue by way of compensation for the wait and poor communication.

I also got to look some information from the dealer's systems. The replacement for their old (and crummy) "Dialogue" system is now in place, and it provides a lot more information. Build week still says week 37.

As I left, the DP introduced me to the salesman who I will now be dealing with. The salesman got a gentle reminder to keep in touch with me when the status of my car changes and to be prompt and reliable when it comes to returning phone calls.

So there we go. I'm just glad it's all been sorted out.

Gerryf
04-08-2010, 10:02 AM
All's well that ends well VG :cool::approve:

chris.fulton
05-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Glad it's all worked out well in the end. Just been in touch with my dealer and the car now has a confirmed build date of week 33 so hopefully the long wait is nearly over

Vincent Vega
24-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Glad it's all worked out well in the end. Just been in touch with my dealer and the car now has a confirmed build date of week 33 so hopefully the long wait is nearly over

Any news, Chris? Week 33 has come and gone, and surely it mustn't be far off now?

As for me, my car is now confirmed as build week 39 (w/c 27 September - it was week 37 'til a few weeks back, and shifted when they confirmed the build week). That's a not particularly impressive 31 weeks (!) since I ordered the car. Add five weeks for them to build, ship and prepare it, and that takes us to the end of October. Or 36 weeks. Almost as long as it takes to have a baby.

Oh, and the new salesman is just as crap as the old one. I attempted to call on Monday to speak to him for an update, as he told me the previous time I spoke to him that the car was "going into production". He was "busy", so someone took my number and promised to get him to call back. And guess what he hasn't done? I called VW customer services, who took my commission number and called me 15 minutes with an update. Somewhat better than my dealer.

mproudfoot
25-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I ordered a GTD at the end of July and was told it would arrive early November but after seeing other people's expected times, I had some doubts.. these were confirmed yesterday when my lease manager called to tell me "VW are having major supply issue with most VW models" and that the GTD delivery has been delayed until January (my current car is being collected on Friday so I'm carless after that).

Pretty disappointed but no entirely unexpected.

Keithuk
25-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I ordered a GTD at the end of July and was told it would arrive early November. (my current car is being collected on Friday so I'm carless after that).
Well because you're ordered it a while ago and they can't deliver on the specified date they should supply you wil a loan car if you are carless, well they uused too, enquire. ;)

Vincent Vega
25-09-2010, 07:58 PM
You are entitled to a loan car after 16 weeks (perhaps I should get two?). Not sure how it works with leases, though.

chris.fulton
27-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Any news, Chris? Week 33 has come and gone, and surely it mustn't be far off now?

Yeah I took delivery of the car about 3 weeks ago and have to say I'm extremely pleased with it, it is certainly worth the wait and I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you get yours Vincent

Vincent Vega
30-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Just heard from my dealer: my GTD has been built and is awaiting shipping. They reckon that it'll be at the dealer in three weeks. I am in shock.

chris.fulton
30-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Happy days, your long wait should soon be over. I think it look around 2 1/2 weeks from build completion to getting the keys for mine

Vincent Vega
30-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Let's hope so! I had to visit the dealer today to pick up a new tax disc for my courtesy car (Pol(i)o). The salesman told me that the car goes by train to Emden from Wolfsburg (where the factory is), and thereafter on a boat to Grimsby. Then it's on to a transporter and to the dealer.

As well as getting my tax disc, I also managed to get a set of steel wheels thrown in, so I can get myself a set of winter tyres when the weather gets worse. I like freebies.

Keithuk
30-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Then it's on to a transporter and to the dealer.
Well it may depend on the dealer but mine went to a central VW dept. to be PDI'ed and checked. I ask don't you do your own PDI on new vehicles? No they are done at a central dept then they are delivered to the dealers. You will see that in the PDI section of the service schedule when you get it, it won't be stamped only dated and signed. ;)

Vincent Vega
13-10-2010, 02:06 PM
It is now in the UK, so the dealer tells me. They expect it to arrive "imminently". The salesman is going to find out exactly where it is at present and get back to me.

Hopefully this means I can collect it next Friday, the 22nd.

Vincent Vega
13-10-2010, 07:30 PM
6.15pm: no contact from dealer, I call back. He faffs around on his computer for a bit and then tells me he needs to speak to his sales manager for some reason.

6.45pm: a long talk with the sales manager later, he calls back. And, yet again, the dealership proves its real worth: the car is actually still in Emden, awaiting shipping to Grimsby. Supposedly the system will be updated tomorrow, so I will be contacted tomorrow evening (so he promises - I doubt if he will) with an update. No explanation is provided for why I was told earlier that it was in the UK, and it's actually still in the land of its birth.

It just gets worse and worse. Every chance they get, this dealership screws up. They can't communicate. They never call back when they say they will (this goes for every single person I've ever spoken to, from the sales manager to pretty much every member of the sales team). And to cap it all, when I do manage to speak to them, they give me false information. I was told this afternoon and this evening (at 6.15pm) that the car was in the UK. He told me twice earlier today that the dealer expected the car to arrive "imminently".

I would have thought they'd want to get rid of me as soon as possible. But no, it seems that they want to prolong this as long as possible.

I will be calling the dealer principal tomorrow. Conveniently, I have his mobile phone number.

This is getting ridiculous. More so.

Vincent Vega
18-10-2010, 03:27 PM
<Big Brother voice>: day 232

Update from the dealer: it's on a boat. Hopefully said boat is not heading for Shanghai, Vancouver or Antarctica. The dealer reckons it'll be in the UK early next week. This seems rather a long time - if it is on a boat, the journey is only a day (Emden to Grimsby). Perhaps they're setting my expectations low, so they can then turn around and say "Look! We're not so hopeless after all - it's early!"

Keithuk
18-10-2010, 07:06 PM
I remember seeing a site that you can check the shipping and docking times for VW's transport ships. I can't remember if it was on here or another forum. ;)

Vincent Vega
18-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Two sites I've been monitoring:

Port Arrivals

Emden: http://www.portarrivals.com/list.asp?sec=Port&item=30950&t=EMDEN
Grimsby: http://www.portarrivals.com/list.asp?sec=Port&item=31640&t=GRIMSBY

Marine Traffic

Emden: http://marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?SHIPNAME=&TYPE_SUMMARY=&PORT_ID=175&menuid=&datasource=SHIPS_CURRENT&app=&mode=&B1=Search
Grimsby: http://marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?SHIPNAME=&TYPE_SUMMARY=&PORT_ID=148&menuid=&datasource=SHIPS_CURRENT&app=&mode=&B1=Search

The boats that VW use are the "Highway" ones - Isar Highway is one; the other is either Schelde Highway or Weser Highway.

Vincent Vega
21-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Day 235

I have just heard from the salesman who has told me that the car is in the UK. It is in Grimsby, awaiting transportation to the dealer. This time it actually does appear to be in the country, as I have a registration number, which is allocated by VW at their central depot place in Grimsby. The salesman is going to call me back this evening to give me a more solid date. Now it's in the UK, they can track it at any time, so they should hopefully be fairly precise. I'm hoping to pick it up next Friday.

Exciting times ahead...

Edit: I also scored a free tank of fuel. I asked how much I would get, and the salesman replied with 1/4 of a tank, but due to the inconvenience I've suffered, they'll make sure it's full.

percymon
21-10-2010, 11:02 AM
If its any consolation, the wait has resulted in a MY2011 car rather than the MY2010 one you originally ordered !

Vincent Vega
27-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Exciting news! The car is at the dealer, and I will be picking it up on Friday at 2pm. I managed to scrounge the day off work, and have arranged all the financial side of things. I have also arranged my free seven day insurance with VW. Somehow, I was on the phone for quarter of an hour.

My quote was £510 for a full twelve months, which I didn't think was all that bad. I declined the opportunity to take it up immediately, saying I wanted to shop around.

Keithuk
27-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Congratualations Vincent.

I would suggest you copy and paste this New Car Checklist (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=414633&postcount=2) of p3asa into NotePad or something and print it out. I found it useful when I picked mine up.

Now they don't give you any engine oil anymore as they used to with the Mk5 but it doesn't hurt to ask for some, I got a litre. I've only used 250ml in 4.5k. Mine didn't have the bottle opener in the centre console even though there is an impression for it. They said those aren't supplied anymore. I read the handbook when I got home and it should have one, I told them and they ordered one for me.

I also asked it VW do touch up paint pots, yes they do, do you want one? The paint and the oil is all you get for free of Volkswagen Stoke.

I hope its worth the wait? ;)

chris.fulton
28-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Now they don't give you any engine oil anymore as they used to with the Mk5 but it doesn't hurt to ask for some, I got a litre. I've only used 250ml in 4.5k. Mine didn't have the bottle opener in the centre console even though there is an impression for it. They said those aren't supplied anymore. I read the handbook when I got home and it should have one, I told them and they ordered one for me.

Both a litre of oil and the bottle opener were supplied with mine without me having to ask for them, must depend on the specific dealer whether they give you them or not

Vincent Vega
28-10-2010, 07:50 PM
The courtesy Polo I'm driving that the dealer gave me has a bottle of oil sliding around in the boot, so I'm hopeful I'll get one, even if I have no idea what to do with it. I will be adding it to my checklist.

I recently ordered a custom-made outdoor cover (specific to Mark VI Golf) from Classic Additions (http://www.classicadditions.com/) to keep my baby from the worst that the weather brings this way over the next few months. I also need to order my winter tyres and work out what I'm going to say to the dealer principal tomorrow.

covertgoose
28-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I dont believe the bottle opener depends on the dealer, i just think someone in the delivery chain nicks it

Vincent Vega
28-10-2010, 11:28 PM
When I got my Mark V, I specifically asked if it came with a bottle opener. The salesman confirmed that it did and said he'd tell the guys in the workshop to make sure it stayed attached to the car. When I got rid of the car in 2008, I kept it.

There are plenty of them on eBay as well. Some guy is selling eight of them!

Vincent Vega
29-10-2010, 05:24 PM
I am not usually lost for words, but when the dealer principal showed me my car this afternoon, I was momentarily speechless. It is a stunning looking thing. The styling is fantastic, especially the front end. The 17" Seattle Shadow wheels look fabulous, as does the twin exhaust on the rear. The Golf GTD is, in short, a phenomenal car. I am pleased as punch: it is well worth waiting for if you haven't taken delivery yet.

The DSG gearbox and the 170PS engine are a perfect pairing, and the handling is top notch - great fun through the bends. Build quality seems exceptional. I got mud flaps fitted by the dealer, as well as side door strips. I was a bit pensive about the latter, but they really don't look bad at all - they don't stand out too much, and they go quite well with the black plastic along the side of the car.

I got the bottle opener, a bottle of oil and a bottle of screen wash. The sales manager (who handled the process - salesman was off) told me that it is a condition of the warranty that I use VW branded screen wash. I queried why : apparently it won't corrode the pipes - other brands might!

Oh, and ten minutes into ownership, it got pooped on by a pigeon, so the first thing I did when I got home was clean a load of crap off the car.

Keithuk
29-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Well I was on another forum the other day and someone was talking about a 1991 Golf Mk2 GTD. I asked do you have the year right as the GTD is fairly new. It appears the Golf Mk2 1.6 turbodiesel was called GTD. You learn something everyday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk2

I'm glad you are finally happy Vincent. ;)

geees
29-06-2011, 09:07 AM
New GTD ordered through work lease company february 28th, just been given delivery date of some time in October - 8 months - glad its not me paying for it !!