PDA

View Full Version : sluggish 2.0tdi A6

pdudley
29-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi Guys

I took delivery of a new A6 Avant 2.0tdi in March. The first time I drove it, it was evident there was a problem with the engine. It was completely guttless from standing, then had a worse flatspot at about 2000rpm and the fuel consumption was dreadful so I sent it back. It was returned to me 3 weeks later and was better but still not right so I sent it back again. A week later it was returned and was better again. I was told it would improve when it had done a few more miles and that there was nothing wrong with it now so I accepted it back reluctantly. It now has 1500miles on the clock and it is still gutless up to 2000rpm and it averages 34mpg. I think this is still not good enough for a £27k car. My previous car was aSAAB 9.5 2.2d with 122bhp which was much stronger off the mark than this. Has anybody out there had experience of this engine in an A4/Passat/Octavia etc and know of a fault or remedy I can point out to the dealer. All they seem to do is connect up to the diagnostic computer which tells them there is nothing wrong. I don't expect the car to be particularly fast but I'm sure it should be better than this.

Any advice gratefully received.

Lex Luthor
29-05-2007, 03:00 PM
You need it hooked up to VAGCOM and drive it while logging the engine breathing and boost parameters to see if it is running properly.

pdudley
29-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks Lex. I'm taking in over to Walton Audi in a week or so to get it checked over again. In the meantime I'm trying to get some knowledge and ammunition about it all so I can it sorted. P

Lex Luthor
29-05-2007, 03:30 PM
That's all very well, but all they will do is look for fault codes, find none and pronounce that everything is fine........
Insist that they take it out and check the MAF Requested -v- MAF actual and Boost Requested -v- Boost actual at WOT from 3000 rpm to say 4500 rpm.
And preferably let you come away with the numbers.

Oh, is this an auto ?
The MPG sounds like it is and the poor takeoff is symptomatic too.

WOT is wide open throttle.

pdudley
29-05-2007, 03:36 PM
It's a manual. I had read reviews before I got this where people were getting average mpg in the 40s so 34 isn't that impressive.