PDA

View Full Version : Driver's door rattling (seals)

pauldoherty
20-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

My driver's door has started rattling about 5k ago - I used to get a bit of the window rattle that alot of people experience but I learned to live with that. This new rattle is however far too annoying.

IMO, it seems to be related to the seals around the door, as if the seal fit isn't as strong as it once was (52k on the clock) - has anyone else got this problem, or anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Dorts

Hippogriff
21-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Trip to dealer... get 'em to fix it?

Don't accept / live with / put up with / get used to any rattle.

Also, don't let the dealer try to convince you that you're mad... they will.

B6Andy101
22-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Your right this is bloody annoying and is worse in the damp. WD40 / silicone spray the seal on the the rear doors that can only be seen when the front doors are opened.

Bratty
22-04-2010, 10:12 PM
The doors on a car are actually VERY! VERY! good! I have replaced seals Regularly for genuine reasons on Aircraft ??regularly (and its always a pain in the butt!)

The material used is the most advanced that is available on cars!, (and wether talcum powder, vaseline or silicone spray;might not help) although the problem might actually be the rigidity of the car itself!!?!!

You have a NORMAL CAR? You slap19 Inch (or 18 inchers) wheels on and lowered (hardened suspension) then what do you expect!:confused:

FIT A STRUT BRACE! Or BIGGER ANTI ROLL BARS, But the cars on the assembely line S-LINE/SE are the same as far as the non suspension parts are concerned!! Ie the wings are NOT seam welded to add rigidity.

Dunk

pauldoherty
27-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for your thoughts - B6 Andy101, is it the "rigid, wiper type" seal on the back door you spray? - Dunk, I have a 143 SE factory spec so I don't think that this is the issue.

Doing my bloody head in though and the dealer is a couple of hours away, plus they are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!

ThePiombino
28-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I've had a rattle in my driver-side door for quite a while now. Upon further investigation I found that the arm rest was cracked underneath and that appears to be causing the rattle (further supported by the fact that the rattle only occurs when I have my arm on the rest). I never brought it into the dealer because I'm fairly certain this would not be covered under any manufacturer warranty. Try check that out.