PDA

View Full Version : SD memory card music file format - mp4?

mikeyi
19-04-2010, 08:27 PM
After nearly 6 months of A5 Sport ownership I finally got round to adding some music to an SD card so I can stop leaving an ipod plugged in to the aux input. I knew I needed SD format (as opposed to SDHC) and acquired a 2GB card. I've copied files direct from my itunes folder, I think in mpeg 4 audio format (as they were loaded from CD in to itunes).

The standard head unit reads the card and displys the album and track title but scanned each track and skipped over each in turn with a file cant play or is damaged error message?

I know there have been a number of related threads but I haven't been able to spot the definitive 'how to'? Should mp4 work or am I going to have use a conversion programme to a more acceptable format (and loss of quality?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

mikeyi
25-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Tried again with other music from my itunes folder, just dragged and dropped on to SD card in unchanged mp4 format and it worked fine! Which at least make my issue file specifc, maybe I'll leave Jools Later on ipod....

MFGF
26-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi,

Do the offending tracks have a filetype of .m4p or .m4a? If they are .m4p, they have DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection and cannot be played outside of the iTunes/iPod environment. m4a tracks (along with .mp3) should be fine though.

MF.

mikeyi
26-04-2010, 07:51 PM
All the files that work and dont work appear to be .m4a so maybe there is something in the way that the files were originally ripped that works on the PC but not on the SD card - although I can't imagine what I did differently?