PDA

View Full Version : Clean tailpipes

JimC64
18-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi All, before I post this I'll apologise.....I know its the show n shine section but I have no pics:(

I try n keep on top of my car and wash very regularly, and part of the routine is ALWAYS the tailpipes. One of my pet hates is seeing some R8 or Jaguar XKR or whatever it maybe, stunning, freshly washed, tyres blacked and looking a million dollars, right up until you get close behind it and the tailpipes have 3 months of soot, grime and general crap all over them:zx11:

Anyhow, mine are pretty much as good as the day I got the car even after 3 years and 68k miles. I did notice though that there was some slight pitting here n there and it really annoyed me.
So today, got the drill out and some wire brush attachments and got stuck in. Spent some time smoothing them out and then broke out the Autosol with some wet n dry and began giving them a right good going over. Finally polished them up and got them really nice:approve:

Not a massive improvement I have to say as they were really pretty good to start with, but an improvement nonetheless.
Sorry about the lack of pics:(

I'd be interested to know of anyones elses routine for shiny pipes too.....any stories or if you'd like to share your experiences, fire away

Crasher
18-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Have you considered counselling…:D

JimC64
19-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Wow, great response crasher...I'd like to know if your 17,403 other posts are just as witty and informative:biglaugh:
Probably not!
On a side note, if you don't like to keep your car clean and in the best shape possible, thats up to you, I'm not gonna rag you on it , its your business. I however, like to keep my car in the best condition possible, so don't rag me for that.
If you have any positive comments I'd like to hear but I won't hold my breath

kite
19-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Just done the TT tailpipes, I used fine wire wool with autosol

Crasher
19-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Sorry, alcohol and stress induced humour…:o

JimC64
19-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah well Crasher, I'm sorry too:o
Probably a bit touchy at the moment....Stress does seem to rule at the moment.
I'll admit to being a bit OCD too when it comes to my car, but thats just the way I like it:approve:

Crasher
19-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Stress macht pickle as the Germans say.

winnie070383
29-04-2010, 07:57 AM
I'll admit to being a bit OCD too when it comes to my car, but thats just the way I like it:approve:
:D me to nothing better than messing about cleaning silly things on your car in the sun, and yes i polish my pipes everytime i wash the car, and just about everything else can find to put me polish to :D