PDA

View Full Version : B7 avant 2.0 Tdi wiring for Towbar

RICH.T
17-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi all , does anyone have any info on wiring a towbar as i dont know what wire to connect bypass relat to?
I have been ripping my hair out all afternoon with this one after spending most of the morning removing the rear trim/bumper.......
Any help appreciated..

sidewinder306
18-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Hi,
I was researching this yesterday and came accross this, cut and paste from Tyresmoke I think

"its a ryder unit, which is what i use when fitting towbars

if you look at the unit itself it says which each colour is and where it needs to conect to

wire the unit behind the right hand lamp, run a wire to the left hand for the indicator and to the left hand sidelight

left hand indicator: grey/blue or green/blue (just check with test light) this goes to yellow wire on the relay

right hand indicator: black/green this goes to the green wire on the relay

brake light: black/red this goes to the red wire on the relay

fog light: grey/white this goes to the blue wire on the relay

left side light: grey/black this goes to the black wire on the relay

right side light: grey/red (only wire left apart from brown, just test if its not grey/red) this goes to the brown wire on the relay

reverse: blue/red this goes to the grey wire on the relay*

* reverse is only used if fitting twin electrics or 13pin socket

if there is 2 grey wires on the relay 1 goes to reverse and the other goes to earth, doesnt mater which grey wire does what, if theres only 1 grey wire, it goes to the reverse light

white wire on the relay goes to earth (body)

youll also need to power the relay, i take a feed from the rear cig light as its rated at 30 amps, but fit an inline fuse, 15amp inbetween the relay and the cig lighter wire, the live is the red wire or red/white from memory, not brown. the live feed goes into any of the + ports (choice of 2)

the wires from the towing socket go into the relay ports which tell you which colour to put where, the white wire goes to earth (body)."

Hope this helps.

sidewinder306
18-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Further to my post above, I too am now stuck!
The wiring I have is different to the colours i posted earlier and are;
Drivers side,
Yellow/Green
Red/Black
Blue/Red
Brown

Passenger side;
Red/White
Green/Blue
Blue/Red
Brown

Can anyone help with how these are connected to the ryder bypass relay??

Thanks

RICH.T
01-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Ok This will be useful to some as it took quite a chunk of my weekend to get this sorted out but to all who are fitting a bypass relay to your B7 hopefully this will save some head scratching.

CAR HARNESS BYPASS RELAY
L/H Indicator = Green/Blue Stripe Connected to Yellow
R/H Indicator = Yellow/Green Stripe Connected to Green
R/H Tail Light = Red/Black Stripe Connected to Red
Reverse light =Blue/Red Stripe Connected to Grey

It Is Important to note that the Brown And Black wires are not connected to any wires and the White wire from the 7 pin socket Has to be earted
Also the white wire on the vehicle side of the relay has to be connected to thh chassis earth,AND a 12 volt permanent live was taken from my auxillery socket in the boot.

It may be useful if someone could make this a sticky???
Good Luck RICH.T