PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A3 1.8T Quattro - Seized Cam

mat_c
17-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

First timer here :)

I think I'm another victim of the oil sludge issue. Oil light came on, checked oil level, engine sounded fine, no overheating etc and tried to make it home. Driving gently at 60mph, then a loud sqeaking noise, dumped it into neutral, engine cut out and coasted to hard shoulder.

Cambelt is intact but looking under the oil cap one of the cams isn't rotating. Engine turns over like a sewing machine so assuming no compression on all pots.

I plan to take the top off, but as there was no smoke from exhuast (engine running sweetly just before problem) is there any chance of the bottom end / turbo being OK or am I on a lost cause?

As I understand it the top is the last in line for the oil so crossing fingers bottom end ok before I tear it to bits. Local garages don't want to toutch it.

TIA,

Mat.

Crasher
17-04-2010, 06:25 PM
In my experience that will be a total loss on engine and turbo, the squeaking you heard was the cam tearing itself to bits in the aluminium head. I bought a VRS like that and put a genuine engine in it. I tried to get away with the turbo but after about five miles, it stated smoking.

mat_c
17-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Cheers - It's looking like the repairs are going to cost more than the car......but it's a cracking car.

Crasher
17-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Mine cost me £4k with parts at trade cost, no VAT and no labour. Imagine how much that would cost to retail and you can see why a 4 year old car nearly ended up being scrapped. I stepped in and saved it but including what I paid for it, it cost me as much as buying a used example off the shelf with lower mileage. At least it has a new engine and turbo, well three years ago anyway but it has only done 15K since then.