PDA

View Full Version : 96 sharan 2.8 vr6

seafrog
16-04-2010, 10:48 PM
hi all iv'e got a droneing noise comeing off the car checked wheels found a warped disc ,new discs & pads fitted on the front also new bearing fitted front r/h side, the droneing has got quieter but still there when traveling in a straight line and right hand corners any body got any ideas??? as im stumped. no play in any of the wheels thanks james

Crasher
17-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Manual or auto?

the_old_diver
17-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Seafrog,
As the droning noise got quieter after replacing one front wheel bearing but is still there except on left hand curves, I'd suggest it could be the other wheel bearing. OD

PS I've had the same droning for 12,000 miles - are there any snags or tips for replacing 97 Sharan front bearings that you'd care to share?

seafrog
17-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Manual or auto?
manual transmission 5 speed

seafrog
17-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Seafrog,
As the droning noise got quieter after replacing one front wheel bearing but is still there except on left hand curves, I'd suggest it could be the other wheel bearing. OD

PS I've had the same droning for 12,000 miles - are there any snags or tips for replacing 97 Sharan front bearings that you'd care to share?
Hi the only advice i would give is find someone with a press as the bearings are big and have a long way to travel into the hub and a hammer is not a good idea (2nd bearing later), and also consider changeing the ball joints at the same time which is what ive had to do as some would be mechanic thought it wise to collapse the allen key heads on bottom ball joint and the steering arm joint. hope this helps a little

seafrog
19-04-2010, 09:19 PM
hi all iv'e got a droneing noise comeing off the car checked wheels found a warped disc ,new discs & pads fitted on the front also new bearing fitted front r/h side, the droneing has got quieter but still there when traveling in a straight line and right hand corners any body got any ideas??? as im stumped. no play in any of the wheels thanks james
hi all just a update droneing noise still there but have noticed when any weight is loaded into boot it gets quieter could it be a rear bearing ??????????

the_old_diver
19-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Seafrog - I am not a professional motor engineer, and there are some here who are. My interpretation is that loading the boot aft of the rear axle actually unloads the front wheels, so it still points towards a front bearing problem.

Last time I bought VW wheel bearings they cost about 2 bottles of red wine, and as this forum is all about DIY repairs - helped enormously by professionals giving their knowledge for free - I think I would replace the other front bearing and not begrudge the tiny cost involved.

seafrog
19-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Seafrog - I am not a professional motor engineer, and there are some here who are. My interpretation is that loading the boot aft of the rear axle actually unloads the front wheels, so it still points towards a front bearing problem.

Last time I bought VW wheel bearings they cost about 2 bottles of red wine, and as this forum is all about DIY repairs - helped enormously by professionals giving their knowledge for free - I think I would replace the other front bearing and not begrudge the tiny cost involved.
ok but not so cheap local motor factors ftont bearing £46 + vat rear £50 something plus vat had a shock

seafrog
20-04-2010, 07:39 PM
just a thought could it be the drive shaft bearing ????????

Crasher
20-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Do you mean the right hand intermediate shaft support bearing? If so, then yes these can fail and make a noise.