PDA

View Full Version : Xenon problem

atz
16-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi all my 55 plate s4 avant is playing up my dash tells me left main beam fail but lights are ok but left one does flicker & go off but comes on within a second. Do I need a new bulb? where can I get one apart from dealer :confused:

Sarge786
17-04-2010, 01:00 AM
I have had same issues, I been told best to fit new bulbs on both sides, can be costly from a dealer, if your uses the D1s type (which I think it does) then bulbs from S ****** ship are about £179 each!! as far as I can recall. However, others have said (including my local S ****** ship) that it will be the 'control units' which are something even more stupid £510 each!!

I have not had the time nor the weather to get my headlamps out to test it and try out the bulbs as I understand the bumper has to come off to get lights out.

Cheers
Sarge

El Guapo
17-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi, there are a few threads on here regarding this problem. I had a problem on one but when Audi checked there were faults on both lamps. They replaced both control units under warranty. It would appear to be an issue that hopefully has been fixed.

RICH.T
17-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi all my 55 plate s4 avant is playing up my dash tells me left main beam fail but lights are ok but left one does flicker & go off but comes on within a second. Do I need a new bulb? where can I get one apart from dealer :confused:
I too have the same problem on my 05 plate avant.
Have been told it is the ballast resistors that were made by valeo that are the main suspects. Main ******** will replace for about £500 each side and i have been assured that if one has faltered the other is also in need of replacement.
There was a post on this about 18 months ago from my recollection???

Jason.S
25-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Had near enough the same problem on my recent, dealer supplied, 55 plate S4.

Took it in for them to look at they said the ballast was duff on the nearside, but they have put a claim in to Audi to have them both replaced.

Sarge786
25-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Had near enough the same problem on my recent, dealer supplied, 55 plate S4.

Took it in for them to look at they said the ballast was duff on the nearside, but they have put a claim in to Audi to have them both replaced.

How are they going to get a claim authorised? it's over 3 years old, or have you somehow extended warranty?

Mine is a 2006 model with only 29k on the clock and they didn't want to know, the S tealerships not even having the thought to ask Audi.

Cheers
Sarge

Jason.S
25-04-2010, 08:11 PM
How are they going to get a claim authorised? it's over 3 years old, or have you somehow extended warranty?

Mine is a 2006 model with only 29k on the clock and they didn't want to know, the S tealerships not even having the thought to ask Audi.

Cheers
Sarge

If you bought your car from a dealer, it automatically comes with a 12 month warranty.

When the dealer told me of the problem, he said he was putting a claim through on an "extended warranty" for both headlights.

Not sure what that means, but i assume its what they called the approved used warranty.

If the dealer wont help, then it maybe worth an email or call to Audi customer services.

quattrodlo
27-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I also have the exact problem with my 55reg. In my case by turning lights off and on again corrects the fault.
I can't really afford to have this fixed as i am obviously out of warrenty and after spending £500 on a new clutch last month didn't help.

El Guapo
27-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I also have the exact problem with my 55reg. In my case by turning lights off and on again corrects the fault.
I can't really afford to have this fixed as i am obviously out of warrenty and after spending £500 on a new clutch last month didn't help.

If I were you I would complain to Audi as this is obviously a design fault of some kind and customers should not have to pay for it in warranty or not. It is also a safety concern that they should be on top off as well.

quattrodlo
29-04-2010, 01:33 PM
If I were you I would complain to Audi as this is obviously a design fault of some kind and customers should not have to pay for it in warranty or not. It is also a safety concern that they should be on top off as well.

I have spoken with my local dealership today who are aware of the problem but said Audi were not obligated to replace anything for free plus it would need to be diagnosed first by the dealership at my expence. They said that Audi may replace as a goodwill gesture but as only half my service history is Audi dealership then it's doubtful i would have a successful claim.

I think the guy was then supprised when i continued a booked my car in for service, cambelt, discs and pads.. £900 invoice coming up!!

Would be nice to get a little bit back now and then.

atz
01-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Just an update audi are willing to pay 50% towards part
£150ish I have to pay remaing £700 for something that
clearly they know is a duff part

El Guapo
02-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Was that a dealer or Audi UK? I would take it further as we should not have to pay for dodgy parts! It is out of order, so to speak. :o Maybe threaten to take it to Watchdog! :D

Autobulbs
02-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Just an update audi are willing to pay 50% towards part
£150ish I have to pay remaing £700 for something that
clearly they know is a duff part

Hi,

Have Audi told you which part has developed a fault on the lights? Our sister company has some OEM Xenon bulbs and ballast units available at a fraction of the cost Audi will be quoting you. If you can let me know which part it is I can see if we have anything suitable as a replacement for you.

atz
02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Hi
it's the nearside ballast unit hope it helps

Autobulbs
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Many thanks for getting back to me. If you can get access to look at the ballast, what may be of use is the following link,

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/hid-ballasts-and-starters/

Now I can't promise you we will have the correct part for your car but it would be worth trying to make a visual match between ours and the one in your car. If you need any help or further advise then please do not hesitate to contact me either through the forum or at sales@hids4u.co.uk

Hope this helps.

HIDorigin
03-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Hi, I hope your troubles are covered by warranty. If not you can save a packet at www.HIDorigin.com (http://www.hidorigin.com/)
I would establish if its your bulbs or not by switching your left and right side bulbs and seeing if the problem moves or not. If it does move then try a new bulb. Your OEM bulb is Philips D1S Xenstart (http://www.hidorigin.com/philips-4300k-oem-d1s-hid-bulb.html) If the problem doesnt move it may be your ballast I'm afraid. Still it doesnt have to cost an arm and a leg. Firstly check your connections.. sometimes loose wires are the cause of the issue. If you need a ballast get in touch and I will source your OEM ballast at the best price. We have a few in stock for free next day delivery and can express order stuff on request in 5 working days. Have a look under the hood and let me know what you need.
Best of luck, Vin