PDA

View Full Version : Golf gt tdi not starting!!!!!

timmy01
28-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi i wonder if someone can help me??!!!!:confused:

I have an 02 plate Golf GT TDI 150BHP. On Sunday I changed the timing belt, to start with it after I finished it started fine. Then after a few starts it would not start..... It starts fine first time and drives fine, if I stop it for any reason and go to restart it, it wont I can turn key 4 or 5 times beofre it will start again. :1zhelp:

I have checked all other bits incase anything got pulled off and t is all ok, any one have any ideas???

Thanks v much :biglaugh:

a8 tech
28-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Recheck your timing,sound like the valve timming is one tooth out.Pd engines have to be set 100% and the belt tension must be correct.Make sure you use the correct tools for the crank and camshaft also try and follow instructions for fitting the belt and the tensioning procedure.

timmy01
28-05-2007, 09:33 PM
thanks for the reply....
il go through the settings again, one thing i did have trouble with was the tensioner. i couldnt turn the idler back far enough to get the locking tool in the slot in the tensioner rod / spindal. so sruggling to get the 4-5 mm distance once tension taken up. Do you think the spring tensioner could be faulty, (i fitted new belt tensioner pully and idler at the time)
thanks again

a8 tech
28-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Ok lets start with fitting the belt.Camtool fitted three 13mm bolts at the cam pulley lose and pulley is allowed to move freely.Crank tool in place and the tensioner tool locked in.Loosen the 15mm nut on the tensioner,fit the belt on the crank pulley then the roller pulley then the tensioner(keepthe belt taught)then the losened cam pulley then the water pump.Now make sure the belt slack is on the tensioner side and release the tensioner locking tool whilst pre tensoning the tensioner with the adjustment tool,when the gap is correct tighten the tensioner 15mm nut.Now tighten the three 13mm camshaft bolts and remove the locking tools,rotate the engine via the crankshaft two full revolutions and locate the camshaft tool first and then the cranktool.If they fit without force check your tensioner setting if ok tighten everything and reasssemble.I dont have any instructions infront of me so u dont have the torque settings or tool numbers but that is the process.I also didnt mention you may incure some pain when you fit the belt as they are a tight fit.Stay calm and swear at will.Best regards Jon:aargh4:

timmy01
31-05-2007, 09:51 PM
hi
thanks for the advice, ive checked it all again with all the correct tools and it was a ball hair out! Running like a swiss watch now!
Thanks very much!:beerchug:

a8 tech
31-05-2007, 09:56 PM
No worries timmy.Regards JON