PDA

View Full Version : drum to disc conversion

dubtastic
16-04-2010, 04:11 PM
hi there i have a mk3 td which has the four stud drum brakes at the rear. how complicated is it to convert them to discs.

I am a novice mechanic at heart and would appreciate the difficulty rating as if using the haynes manual.

Thanks for reading! J

zollaf
16-04-2010, 05:25 PM
if you really want to, you drop an axle in from a car with disc brakes and job done. but, why would you want to ?

dave18
17-08-2010, 08:03 PM
let me think why

better brakes,
Safer brakes,
and thats just with the brake compensator

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

As said drop the axel out of a disk car, buy new hoses, and a compensator and bushs and your almost there, loads of info over at www.clubgti.com

zollaf
17-08-2010, 09:11 PM
if the op had a car of moderate performance, then it could be justified, but he has a golf diesel, that is at the best of times sluggish. fitting discs to the rear of this will result in the brakes just not really doing anything. the discs will quickly corrode, since there will be no need to brake hard for corners, thus no heat will ever be generated and the pads wont actually wear. on a car like this, that vw have spent more than £1.00 developing, good old drum brakes are more than sufficient and are perfectly safe. in fact, a well serviced drum brake is just as good as a disc brake, the only downside being that they will overheat and fade when used hard. this is why disc brakes were developed in the first place. but, being on the back end of a td golf, they are never going to overheat, unless they are binding. so, fitting discs to this particular car is imho a complete waste of time and money. the effort should be put into servicing the existing drum brakes, and the time left over could be spent polishing it. of course, it is the op's decision, but the original post was a while ago., and it seems 'dubtastic' totally ignored my original reply since he didnt bother to reply to it, which is fine, but a bit rude really.

dave18
18-08-2010, 10:04 AM
sorry bud need to learn to read didnt see the oil burner bit lol :D

in that case unless its been modded big time drums ftw