PDA

View Full Version : Snow Chains on Q7

Spud312r
16-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Anybody have any recommendations for 20" wheels 275/45 R20 tyres

Seems like RUD dont do them ... maybe due to wheel arch size ??

But you could always put the Q7 in off road mode suspension wise .....

Sportingmac
01-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Snow chains are a pain in the RS - especially if you want to go skiing in Europe - you have to take them off when you hit the main roads. Best advice is to use snow & Ice tyres - you can leave them on all year too if you want to - they are softer rubber but still pretty good in the summer.

...and I wouldn't advise using your summer tyres in the winter - been off the road twice in mine at the first sign of frost let alone snow.

...I put on winter tyres at the first frost and take them off again around April/May time. Much safer with winter tyres on.

Spud312r
01-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Snow chains are a pain in the RS - especially if you want to go skiing in Europe - you have to take them off when you hit the main roads. Best advice is to use snow & Ice tyres - you can leave them on all year too if you want to - they are softer rubber but still pretty good in the summer.

...and I wouldn't advise using your summer tyres in the winter - been off the road twice in mine at the first sign of frost let alone snow.

...I put on winter tyres at the first frost and take them off again around April/May time. Much safer with winter tyres on.

I may look at a set of winter tyres, but seems expensive if just using them for skiing trip once a year, and apart from this year our winters in the uk are not normally that bad..

I was looking at the snow socks as well , spose to be easy to put on/off if/when required..

I'm not sure, even if your have winter tyres, you may still need snow chains in austria etc ?? not sure of the law etc...

Sportingmac
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
In Austria it is either snow chains or winter tyres - unless you are seriously going off road - and I doubt you would in a Q7. I Very rarely see snow chains on cars in Germany or Austria when I go skiing - they are mainly used by the snow clearance vehicles who need them initially to clear the roads.

My snow tyres cost me £180 each - fitted and they have done quite a few miles now - 8k+ and no sign of wear yet either. Worth thinking about.

A friend wrote his Q7 off in France last year - trusted his summer tyres to work on cold but snow cleared roads - bad choice he said afterwards!

Spud312r
01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
In Austria it is either snow chains or winter tyres - unless you are seriously going off road - and I doubt you would in a Q7. I Very rarely see snow chains on cars in Germany or Austria when I go skiing - they are mainly used by the snow clearance vehicles who need them initially to clear the roads.

My snow tyres cost me £180 each - fitted and they have done quite a few miles now - 8k+ and no sign of wear yet either. Worth thinking about.

A friend wrote his Q7 off in France last year - trusted his summer tyres to work on cold but snow cleared roads - bad choice he said afterwards!

Good to hear concerning chains/tyres in austria/germany .. will see if i can find a cheap set of wheels and winter tyres..

Just been made redundant, so things are a bit tight at the moment..

Thanks for the update :beerchug:

Sportingmac
01-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Been there a few times myself - know the feeling - it fades - but on the positive side...it is a new opportunity to try something else - good luck on your next venture.

Jam Man
02-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Good to hear concerning chains/tyres in austria/germany .. will see if i can find a cheap set of wheels and winter tyres..

Just been made redundant, so things are a bit tight at the moment..

Thanks for the update :beerchug:

I have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres on VW badged 18" wheels from a Touareg V10. Rolling circumference and offset is a perfect match. Used them for two trips to the Alps and very happy with them. Drop me a message if you want them. I paid £400 for the set. Will accept £250 as my Q7 is unlikely to go to the Alps next season. :)

Sportingmac
02-08-2010, 07:18 AM
........ might be a bit of a bargain there Spud - when I was researching snow chains they were about the same price for that size of wheel.

Spud312r
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres on VW badged 18" wheels from a Touareg V10. Rolling circumference and offset is a perfect match. Used them for two trips to the Alps and very happy with them. Drop me a message if you want them. I paid £400 for the set. Will accept £250 as my Q7 is unlikely to go to the Alps next season. :)

PM Sent .. :beerchug: