PDA

View Full Version : variable vane on turbo

glynnd
24-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I know that with a turbo charged car you can expect some oil in the boost pipes. At 90k on a tdi 130 is it reasonable to expect that the variable vanes can stick due to oil in the boost pipes. If this is the case can a cleaner such as 10k power boost be applied direct to the compressor intake to clean them?:aargh4:

6Speeder
24-02-2006, 08:32 PM
No...the vanes are on the exhaust (turbine) side. Best way to do it is remove the turbo and inspect/clean them. I suppose you could apply a vacum to the diaphram which operates them and see if the link rod moves smoothly.
Oil in the intake pipes comes from the crankcase recirc. hose (from rocker cover)...this is a crap design. I'm planning to use a provent or catch can and remove the crankcase vent from the induction side.

Iainrugby
01-03-2006, 08:53 PM
The variable vane turbos are susceptible to sticking. Wear occurs between the shaft on the vane and the nozzle plate. As far as I know it is not common, but then not unusual either. Is there warranty left? I would push this anyway as most turbo manufacturers (Garrett, 3K) know this goes on. To fix it needs a strip down to remove the wear rough points, but this is not something that can be done at home.

Iain