PDA

View Full Version : "Paint" Peeling off Door Mirrors

Paul Hopkinson
14-04-2010, 07:00 PM
:1zhelp: Hi Folks, :1zhelp:

Has anyone got or had a problem with the Black section of their Door Mirrors "Peeling" and corroding !

The painted part of the door mirrors, the part that swivels is ok, but the Black "Plastic" part of the Door Mirror assembly has started to "Peel" Off.

I thought that these were made of Plastic, but as plastic can not corrode, then these must be some sort of alloy and the plastic paint is "bubbling" on one mirror but has "flaked off" the other mirror.

Paul. :(

tincan
25-04-2010, 08:32 PM
I just completed a full valet and seal lube this morning and was horrified to see the offside mirror peeling just as you describe. It is my wifes car and she says she will be taking it back to the supplying dealer to have it replaced although it is an 07 car

Teflon
26-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Same on the wife's car. I had the bodywork warranty man take a look and he tells me it is a common problem so it is going to get sorted when I can get time to book in.

If you are out of warranty don't worry, there may still be some goodwill, speak to your dealer.

Paul Hopkinson
28-04-2010, 08:01 PM
I recommend that you go and have your door mirrors replaced (if they are peeling) before the 3 year warranty has expired. My dealer has obtained a 60 % discount or goodwill gesture from VW but it is still an unexpected expense on a relative new car. My car is three and a half years old and has done 28000 miles and is kept in a garage 15 hours a day during the "bad winter weather".

Mr Eos
19-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Simple answer, if your car is still under warranty, take it in and the mirrors will be changed free of charge. Not that long a job either, hour and a half for both to be done. :biggthump

tincan
20-05-2010, 10:03 AM
My wife brought the car back to the dealer who photographed the offending mirror. He will send the photos to VW but did advise that they have already changed out quite a few and he doesn't see any problem with ours being replaced under the now expired warranty. In fact there was only one refusal and that was on a car with 100k+ miles

tincan
04-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Well the plot thickens, VW Ireland have agreed to pay only 50% of the replacement cost of a new mirror, as a goodwill gesture. They are claiming that ours is an isolated incident. I'm not at all happy with this as 50% is over €150. I think I will take a case to our small claims court here as I am now aware through the forum that ours is not the only car with this problem. If anyone who has had a successful replacement would contact me to give me all the details I would appreciate it. I just hate being taken for a patsy by the garage.

Thanks

Noel

Teflon
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Well the plot thickens, VW Ireland have agreed to pay only 50% of the replacement cost of a new mirror, as a goodwill gesture. They are claiming that ours is an isolated incident. I'm not at all happy with this as 50% is over €150. I think I will take a case to our small claims court here as I am now aware through the forum that ours is not the only car with this problem. If anyone who has had a successful replacement would contact me to give me all the details I would appreciate it. I just hate being taken for a patsy by the garage.

Thanks

Noel
PM me your contact details and I will send you photos of the same thing on the wife's car, that they did free under warranty. Ours was a May 2007 registration, is yours a similar vintage? Also. €300 as the full price of a replacement sounds like a rip-off. I sugegst you contact a few other dealers to enquire about what it would cost if you were paying with your own money.

tincan
12-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Hi teflon, unfortunately the PM set up requires that I have 10 posts before I can use it and this is only #7 so I'll have to contribute some earthshattering stuff to boost my numbers. Will respond with PM in a day or so

thanks and regards

Noel

SueFC
19-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Mine had this problem too (along with many many others). The wing mirror was fixed under warranty, which is more than I can say about several of the other faults I've had!

It's been in to the dealer for warranty fixes 16 times, costing me 600 miles on its odometer, 1200 miles worth of fuel, and 60 hours of my time.
Still, they've now openly told me that once the warranty runs out next month, any of the issues that they have failed to fix for the last three years will officially be my problem, as once the warranty is over they will accept no responsibility.
Oh the joy of owning a premium car!