PDA

View Full Version : ABS and AIRBAG indicators

hamma
14-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Hello everybody

i just bought a 96' A6 1.9Tdi, of course with some problems to fix.
my prior problems are :
1- the ABS ind. lights up for 4 or 5 sec. when i swich the ignation on and then goes off even after running the engine. i guess this is very normal. but when i start driving, it lights up again but this time with a blinking red pad's level warning. is it caused by the wheel sensors? is it a fault hydrolic abs module? note that the brake pedal goes deep slowly till it almost reaches the footwell ground

2- i heard that all A6 had 2 airbags (driver and passenger). i couldn't find the 'AIRBAG' logo on the passenger's side in my car. how could this happen? any idea? i don't want to think that my car's dashboard was replaced

thank you

hamma
30-06-2010, 10:01 AM
hi guys,

i have got some news for you!!

the lightened ABS indicator was caused by a missplaced sensor on one of the wheels. after correction, the light was off. BUT, there is always a 'BUT' with my loved 96' a6. now my hydrolic ABS module activates every time i stop never mind if i make a hard brake or a simple ordinary braking. sometimes it activates without braking !!!! at very low speed.

does anybody know how to solve this?

Peter D
30-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I would check the sensors are clean and properly inserted into the hub. However the ABS kicking in without braking is a bit odd. Long shot but check you brake pedal switch is working property, if it is hyper sensitive it may be fooling the ABS if you have a low ABS sensor signal. Regards Peter

hamma
30-06-2010, 03:28 PM
thank you Peter.
I guess it is not the same switch used for brake lights because i had never got them to light up without braking.

i ll check the switch today. but sincerely, i don't think it will solve the problem because when i brake normally until i stop the car, the ABS 'kicks in'

maybe a faulty ABS calculator?

Peter D
30-06-2010, 05:27 PM
How do you know the brake lights are not flickering when driving. I suspect a low output from one of the ABS sensors and the ECU thinks the wheel has stopped rotating. Regards Peter

Peter D
30-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Check under the seats to see if the airbag connector is secure. Regards Peter