PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 1996 1.9 TDi smoke and wiring diagram

obladeo
14-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi
I have just purchased an a4 tdi 1996 and was taking it for a drive with the wife to her mothers and everything was fine.

Then on the way home (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/#) i was on the m4 and something went a miss.

I got off the motorway and decided to park up and rev the car. A huge puff of white smoke came out the back just like a magician oooooo lol

As I’ve never had a diesel before I’m just wondering if fuel (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/#) is leaking into the exhaust or if it’s the turbo (i think it’s the turbo as i’ve had the same on a mr2 but having never owned a diesel i’m just making sure before i jack the car up and fit a new one).

I’m still driving (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/#) the car and its fine as long as i don’t rev it allot but when i park up and rev the magician comes back. So that leads me to beleave the seals have gone on the turbo as the turbo is still spooling.

I'll have the turbo outlet off tonight and test the play in the turbo but sat at work atm so just thought i would ask

Also does anyone have a full sound system wiring diagram for it?

thanks allot
Gaz

the_old_diver
14-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Gaz - if you don't have the experience or equipment to diagnose the problem I'd suggest you take the car to someone who does. There are many different causes of white smoke and simply bolting on £1000 worth of used turbo might not fix it. How many miles has the car done? OD

obladeo
15-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the tip but i don't like to take my cars for anyone to fix as there normally useless. I just like to know what they think and if it's the same as what i thought. The cars on 96,000 and only cost me 1k so...

Well it was my first time working on a diesel last night and o my god how easy is it to work on the audi a4!!! The turbo is just there as soon as you open the bonnet!! everything is so easy to fix on these things and easy to get to compared to allot of cars i have worked on (try fitting a t3/4 turbo convertion on a MR2 turbo).

Well had a quick gleg at the turbo and oooo yes that’s the problem. There’s a fair amount of play in the turbo and also there’s allot of oil on the exhaust side. It's not totaly gone yet but on it's last legs.

Looks like a trip to the scrappy should fix that.

Also fixed the stereo last night after a quick scratch of the head. When some chav was fitting the tinted windows then had forgot to plug the speakers back in :s So fixed that and also ripped the window tint off.

Just need to get some petrol now to clean what’s been left by the tint tonight.

the_old_diver
15-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm glad to hear that you have found the problem Gaz. It's true that fuel leaking into the exhaust isn't normally a problem with the early TDIs as the afterburner injection regulator is very reliable.

When my AHU made white smoke is was simply because the timing pulley had become loose on the crankshaft and it just needed a new shaft.

Good Luck mate.

obladeo
15-04-2010, 09:12 AM
At the end of the month (when i get paid) I’ll be doing a full service on the car to get it running right and to check everything over.

I also have a vibration from the car at low revs when accelerating and I’ve heard it's either the Alternator clutch or pulley as it's a common fault so i need to check that out at the weekend.

Can't wait to get it all back up and running like it should be plus I've enjoyed owning it up to yet as it's got loads of room inside.

Also like the feature where you hold the key on locked and it closes all the windows and sunroof :D

obladeo
15-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi
As i have to replace the turbo what would your suggestion be? Does the later turbo’s fit? Are they better than the standard?

the_old_diver
15-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Gaz - I interpret your cars symptoms differently. I'm told worn turbo seals suck engine oil into the inlet manifold and produce blue smoke. You said you had white smoke, which is usually unignited fuel vapour. This suggests a timing problem and in both instances when it happened to me it was due to a worn timing belt pulley keyway on the crankshaft.

Check out this forum for the diagnostic software you'll need to maintain your Audi properly - it can be very expensive to not use it.

Hope this helps OD
'96 Passat AAZ 220k
'97 Audi A4 AFN 120k
'97 Sharan AHU 205k

obladeo
25-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Sorry not been back in a while been busy with getting ready with the baby, fixing up a fiesta to sell it and so on...

Well it's 100% the turbo and the crank pulley\dampner after all lol

Just bought a replacement turbo off ebay (may have to recon it as it's been in someones shed for a while but he said it has no play so all good)

Also ordering a crank shaft pulley next week (low on funds atm).

Fitted a set of tinted black break lights as the standard ones i had were broken and theses look better (not chav).

Changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and pollon filter yesterday.

Going to change the fuel filter today as i needed to get some fuel to make sure theres no air in the system as i can't afford to replace the fuel pump too lol.

Went to the local scrapy and saw some nice audi alloys that i'm going to buy wednesday. £100

God theses cars are easy to work on! only problem i'm going to have is replacing the crank pulley as i think i need to take off the front end but the good thing is it only looks like some easy to reach bolts.

As you can see i'm a busy guy.

Next is to sort out the sound system. I've fitted the clarion touchscreen dvd player and going to fit an 4 channel amp in the boot which is good as this is where the brains of the dvd player is and also infinity components (out of my MR2) as the standard speaks are crap and one of the tweaters has blown. I also had to fit an ariel extention as the ariel had to be in the boot.

Got allot more plans for this car inc a standalone dvd in the center console in the back for when the kid wants to watch cartoons\films. At that time i also need to fit head rest screens as i hate crappy screens hanging off the seats.

The last thing i've also bought is a first aid kit lol As this car dosn't have one. I already had an fire extinguisher.

obladeo
25-04-2010, 01:35 PM
What not to do is try and change a fuel filter in your sunday clothes lol

Just had a quick go and this thing is tight!! (probably cos of the duel rubbers) So i'm going to do it tomorrow now lol

the_old_diver
25-04-2010, 05:51 PM
"Also ordering a crank shaft pulley next week (low on funds atm)."

Have you established that the problem is with the crankshaft pulley and not the crankshaft keyway itself? If it were me I would get that sorted before spending a penny* on anything else, as the whole thing might be a moneypit.

Hope this helps. OD

* so to speak :-)

obladeo
18-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Well the new turbo is now fitted and thats got rid of the blue smoke now i just have white smoke on idel. The car is now fine once the revs are up.

Next to look at are the glow plugs as they look like they have never been changed :D

Should have really changed them when i did the service but was low on funds

My car starts but have the same smoke as this guy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xs4TBHWq9k

Need to get this running perfect as i'm driving from the uk to poland at the end of july :D

obladeo
20-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Anyone who says your glow plugs are ok before 100k are brain dead.

Check theses out and theses are bosch.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/obladeo/knacked.jpg

spot the one that has had it's tip burnt off

Now fitted with a nice set of denson now :D

the_old_diver
20-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Gaz,
I hope new glow plugs fix your problem. I thought that glow plugs only operated for a few seconds on cold starts*, and after that compression caused ignition - the Diesel principle.

If you are getting Vatican messages on tickover with a warm engine I'm not sure the glow plugs are involved. Head gaskets and piston rings might be.

*except on those Cox PeeWee .049 model aeroplane engines I flew as a kid in the 60's, but they ran on nitromethane, ether and castor oil.

Cheers and Good Luck, OD

obladeo
20-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks

I've just stuck some seafoam in the diesel to try and clean some of the engine out and i'm going to run some though the air intake next.

I'm thinking one of the injectors are sticking so hopefully the seafoam might fix it. Going to take it in to the garage next week to have them have a quick look over it as i'm still learning about diesels

Do you know where i can get some new lead plugs from? (The plugs that fit on top of the glow plugs). The reason being is that there not looking to healthy and there not clicking on. I could always nip scrappy and cut some off another tdi.

I also think the engine mounts have gone so i'll be changing them in the next couple of days.

It's all good fun :D

I will get this car ready to drive to poland ooo yes i will lol