PDA

View Full Version : VW T4 2.4 (94) Strange Gear Change Problem

holbornes
28-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I NEED :1zhelp:

I seem to have a strange intermittent problem with changing gears on my transporter. When the engine is cold - 1st & 2nd gear are REALLY hard to get into & will only just go in if the Clutcfh pedal is right to the floor. And all the other gears are quite stiff too.

:confused: However, once I get it going (5-10 mins driving or so) the problems gets much better, with gears 1,2 & 3 still a wee bit stiff, but not bad............ any ideas?

PS There's seems to be no clutch slipping or power loss, no strange noises etc??? Any help/ideas really appreciated!!

mrsheen
09-06-2007, 08:27 AM
i think that it could be the gear selector linkage. mine had a similar problem and the nice man from the AA repaired it - parts were only about £6 from a main dealer. mine stil has issues going in to 1st as the gear change is even tighter now. with mine i have to push it quite hard to the left as if i was going in to reverse (but obviously not pressing down on it) then it slips in to place Ok - a bit of getting used to but once yiu get the hang of it its fine.

Freshup
21-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Had similar problem. Check gear oil spec. I use BP 80w90 LHC. Also these symptoms have shown as early sign of slave cyl failure. Best of luck. John