PDA

View Full Version : knocking and pulling to one side

brickyman1984
13-04-2010, 06:13 PM
I have an audi a3 1.9 Tdi, 110, There is an annoying knocking sound underneath, sounds like suspension but had it checked and apparently all is ok, Also pulls badly to the left hand side, Had the tracking done and all wheels balanced but still the same, Any ideas anybody?? Possibly a track rod end?? I really have no idea!!!!

fourringsrus
13-04-2010, 09:53 PM
The knocking does sound suspension related, maybe a second opinion is required.
Having said that I've just had a thought, if the car is correctly tracked as you say and nothing is loose or broken ie; wheel studs suspension arms etc, then maybe the the two issues are related.
STICKING OR SEIZED brake calliper would cause the car to pull to one side, and potentially to the other side when braking ,if for example the near side unit was seized and slightly applying the brakes constantly you would be pulled to the left,but when braking only the offside calliper would be working correctly and thus pull the car to the right.
Now if this were the case let's assume that the pads in the n/s are stuck in an iffy position and being tapped and knocked about as the disc (also possibly worn) rotates.
I have experienced similar befoe so it's well worth some further investigation
A couple of tell tale clues might be a horrid hot brakes smell,or excessive heat coming from the suspected wheel assembly area,excessive compared with the other side

Good luck

Stuart

brickyman1984
14-04-2010, 08:24 PM
thanks for info, Would i be able to tell by looking at the caliper to see if it is sticking??

fourringsrus
14-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I would imagine that if you lift the car front off the deck you should find the n/s wheel harder to spin than the o/s if the n/s is the offender

Stuart

brickyman1984
14-04-2010, 08:43 PM
ok thanks for that, is it a big job and expensive having them changed??

fourringsrus
14-04-2010, 08:58 PM
It's not a big job and need not be expensive.
If as I suspect you have a sticky calliper it is possible to remove the unit from the hub/disc assembly and with a wire brush etc clean away the dust/debris etc and lubricate the appropriate areas ,re-fit pads and build it all back up.
With the greatest respect to you I'm guessing that you may not have the required"talent" to do the job yourself but if you know any reasonably experienced mechanics they would be able to breeze through the job.
I must stress that I intend no offence whatever with my comment about your talent
Good luck

Stuart

brickyman1984
14-04-2010, 09:01 PM
no offence taken whatsoever, i can change pads and discs but not sure id be confident stripping the calliper, ccan you just do it in situ ie just remove pads and clean it without completely disconnecting it?? somebody said if you swap the back wheels with the front that could help with pulling to one side??

fourringsrus
14-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Yes,yes,yes ,if you are up to speed with disc and pad changes you can clean everything in situ.
Once you have the calliper hanging away from the assembly and the pads are out ,use a wire brush ,small screw driver etc and even an air line to blow out all the crud.
What you are trying to clean is the carrier frame that the pads slide along during their operation, ensure the slider pins are lubed appropriately and the pads have not been worn excessively if they were jamming in the cradle as it were.
Obvious safety precautions must be followed if using air lines etc
If you get stuck mid-job just hit the forum, plenty of good sorts on here just waiting to help
Good luick

Stuart

roders2000
15-04-2010, 12:43 AM
hi ya, im no pro but that sounds like symptoms of the a worn bush in the lower arm, that will cause it to knock and when going around a long smooth corner at say about 70 ish youll get uneven stearing if it does do this then if your going around a right corner its the nearside lower arm and if its a left corner it'll be your right, also could cause it to pull to one side when accelerating, but this is only going on probs that iv had with previous cars.

fourringsrus
15-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey Rodders,it's certainly worth looking at whilst the car is up in the air

Stuart

roders2000
15-04-2010, 09:30 PM
i was thinking its also worth looking at the ball joint on the lower arm. when thats worn you get knocking

faisalgti
16-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey, im having similar problems with the rear passenger side wheel makes a horrible knock when i go over bumps....im just guessing its the bush which has worn out..

Getting cambelt chaged in a couple of weeks so gonna ask the guy to have a look then

fourringsrus
17-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Good idea, bush or shocker likely or possibly even broken spring

faisalgti
18-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Good idea, bush or shocker likely or possibly even broken spring

Cheers mate, sure bushes cost around 80-100 inc labour each(thats what it cost on my golf so guessing around the same)....have u got any idea roughly how much itd be if it was the shocker or broken spring as you mentioned?

fourringsrus
19-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Yep your bushes and probably the shocker and spring will be similarly priced to the Golf as they are essentially the same car in different clothing.The actual price will depend on your preference of type or make.
Probably best to have her looked at before getting too depressed on costings.

Stuart