PDA

View Full Version : fuel gauge problem

baldyman
13-04-2010, 04:36 PM
hi fellow members, i have a a4 1.8 ts estate p (96) reg! when i turn ignition on the fuel gauge reads full when theres maybe a 1/4 tank, there is also a hissing sound from the petrol cap when car is running (have tryed other caps and they are the same as mine) does anyone have a clue as i dont? cheers baldyman...... :aargh4:

RUSSGT
17-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I just Googled your problem and from what I can ascertain from similar scenarios the hissing sound is more than likely a leak in the internal fuel line inside the tank, as far as the fuel gauge being inaccurate it could be the gauge itself or a fault in the wiring or a faulty fuel sender unit. Maybe if you have access to VAGCOM or know someone who has they could run a scan on it and see if it throws any fault codes. It's a much easier way to try and pinpoint the problem.

baldyman
20-04-2010, 11:38 AM
[thanks very much russgt, will get that seen to my friend....baldyman

QUOTE=RUSSGT;507469]I just Googled your problem and from what I can ascertain from similar scenarios the hissing sound is more than likely a leak in the internal fuel line inside the tank, as far as the fuel gauge being inaccurate it could be the gauge itself or a fault in the wiring or a faulty fuel sender unit. Maybe if you have access to VAGCOM or know someone who has they could run a scan on it and see if it throws any fault codes. It's a much easier way to try and pinpoint the problem.[/QUOTE]

baldyman
20-04-2010, 11:42 AM
thanks russgt, will get that seen too rhight away....awe the best from baldyman