PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Choosing an A4 Avant!

tapster
13-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi all,

My love for my current BM has gone, coupled with the need for a boot that you can actually fit something in (have a new baby and you know what loads you need with them!) 3 series tourer isn't much bigger than the saloon in the boot, plus I'm board of them. 5 series to much money!

I want something with a bit of class and for my budget I feel the A4 Avant is my best option. I think the Avant is one of the prettiest estate cars on the road. Budget up to 10k.

The trouble is I want the world for my budget so want help deciding on the best engine/spec for my needs.

I currently drive a 323se so am used to a bit of power. I would like to have something that gives me a smile when driving it. I'm not bothered whether Diesel or petrol. I think either 2.0tdi or 2.0t fsi around 2006 age.

I have seen some very nice examples on Autotrader within my budget most are high mileage though 100k +, is this a problem with Audi's? My favourite at the moment is a 2.0t fsi S line with 94k at £8k. At this sort of mileage, what sort of problems could I be buying into etc.

Sorry if I have waffled on a bit. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris

RickT
13-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Chris,

Im in the a simalir situation to you.... I currently have a B6 A4, and looking for a B7 for around the same money..

I have found some nice Avant and Saloon examples for around the same price, but at the moment im trying to decide wether to go for the 2.0TSI (140) or the 2.0TFSI / Quattro..

The 2.0TFSI is 200bhp but the typical MPG will be around 25mpg urban (if driving easy.)

The resale value of the TDI units are higher than the petrol, even when there is 60bhp differance..

I looked at a 320d M Sport the another day and thought it was nice... but the boot is not that big for the pram etc..

Also take a look at the 3.0TDI A4's, theres a few about... :D

My tips for buying a A4 is look for a sline... ensure cambelt done around 60k miles, ideally get sat nav or a double din head unit, leather if you can find it...

Cheers

Rick

tapster
13-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi Rick

As you will know, the cars out there tend to be high mileage for good spec'd S Lines which worries me as to what demons will be lurking around under the bonnet.

If it has a full Audi service history, would this be something that would give peace of mind? I presume FASH would have had cam belt done at the right times.

I think I would go for spec over engine providing it was at least 2.0 diesel or petrol but I do like the sound of the 2.0T FSI for the smile factor.

Good look in your search, I hope we don't start a price war looking at the same cars :biglaugh:

Chris

Road Rocket
13-04-2010, 07:42 PM
If you want real power, that is immense torque and fabulous acceleration give the A4 Avant Quattro 3.0TDI a try. Have it remapped and the smile will become a never ending grin! The V6 diesel is about as good and smooth as it gets, combined with the quattro drive (wonderful in the snow last December) it is just fantastic. It purrs at 2,000rpm at around 80 mph. It should do around 33mpg if you drive normally although much better than that on long journeys and somewhat worse than that if you leave drive with 'spirit'.

I know many of these models are above your £10k but if you look around you might get a high mileage one for around that figure. Mine was £9980 last July and is a 06 plate with 80,000 mileage. However, as it is almost all motorway mileage it matters not a jot to a superbly built car and brilliant engine as this.

It is the best car I've ever had and has been free of problems apart from one rear brake light bulb failure and the computer told me about that (rather than a traffic cop). By the way, the S-Line models have sports seats and firmer suspension but the SE models have exactly the same performance. And you won't have to worry about cambelt change as the 3.0TDI is chain driven in that respect.

Anyway, best of luck whatever model you get.