PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Knocking Noise when selecting gears is driving me nuts

far2wrecked
12-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Guys

Finally bought a passat 2.0 petrol after many turbulent years owning a laguna.

Unfortunately this car is driving me mad with a knocking/clunking noise when selecting gears. It had a new LUK clutch kit and DMF fitted through a warranty repair just last week. I've extensively searched throughout the forum before posting.

With the car stationary (warm or cold), with the clutch pedal fully pressed down and only moving the gearstick going to select first gear (not fully engaged). I can hear a knock/clunk from underneath the car. This also happens when the car is moving and changing to 2nd and 3rd gear.

Something else that I did notice is that i can feel a slight vibration through the clutch pedal not sure if it was there before or its just me being paranoid. The vibration goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed down.

The biggest problem is that the noise is intermittent, tried to let the mechanic that fitted the clutch/dmf hear it, not once did the noise appear on two separate occasions.

What could be the problem? all help will be greatly appreciated.

David Horn
12-04-2010, 09:07 PM
"I think they all do that" is my response, simply because mine does it and always has.

However, the knock is very slight and you can only hear/feel it when selecting gears when stationary. I suspect the clutch isn't entirely disengaging but it's just a guess.

dieseljames
13-04-2010, 09:28 AM
A slight vibration from the clutch pedal is a characteristic of hydraulic clutches so is normal (If that is what you are experiencing).

As for the clunking noises - are you sure the noise is anything to worry about? and not just the sound of the gears being engaged within the box?

far2wrecked
13-04-2010, 08:18 PM
thanks for the replies