PDA

View Full Version : 80 Td Radiator

Shearer85
28-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi there,
I have an L reg 94 Aud1 80 Td avant estate, on a recent long motorway trip I develped a leak in the radiator. I sorted in easily enough with a bottle of Radweld and completed the trip. Over the course of the next few months the problem recurred and I have kept putting off the enevitable by relying on the "magic" radweld.

However last weekend I came acroper and now have a mjor leak. In desperation trying to just get home I went over the top on the radweld and have now clogged the whole system. My own fault I know!

Can anyone shed any light as too what radiators are interchangable between the models! I have found a number of quattro and petrol models but nothing with an exact match, an I am a skint student so don't really want to stretch to a brand new unit which is all I have managed to source so far!

Also can anyone offer me any advice on how to go about flushing the engine block. I have a normal radiator flush treatment an intend to fire this trhough with the old knackered radiator in place before removing it and flushing through again with fresh water.

Anyinput would be gratefully received

Jamie

brd
29-05-2007, 08:17 AM
If I was you... I'd take out the old rad and get a mate to drive you to a big enough breakers and see if you can get a rad thats from an 80 that about the same size.... just checking that the mounts are ok and the inlets/outlets are in roughly the same place (and temp sender). You're better off with a replacement one that trying to fix up what you have... otherwise you could get in to real problems being stuck, or worse, damage the engine from over heating.

Shearer85
29-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Cheers for advice,

Yeah i'm definately gonna replace the radiator, was pretty far from home when got stuck this time and that was purely due to relying on a temporary repair for too long. I was was just curious to see if any petrol models in particular would be interchangable. But trial an error is probably my best bet right enough!

My new task now is getting the sodding bumper off to get at the damn thing! Straight forward job so I thought but apparently not.

brd
29-05-2007, 01:44 PM
You sure you need to take the bumper off? I changed one of those rads before, but I can't remember what I had to do. It might have been a bit fiddely alright. I think for the sides of the bumper you just pull them out? They should pop out I think... or out and forward. Then the bolts to hold it on are accessed from within the engine bay on each side... sorry... I'm a bit guessin as it was a few years ago. Good luck anyway! Stock the fridge with bevvies and get the boombox into position before starting! ;-))