PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Fitted Parking Sensors?

Pimped-Passat
28-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Hello Experts....

I am thinking of having Rear Parking Sensors fitted to my new Passat.

I would like to hear peoples views\experiences with this particular dealer fit option. Things like:

Are they as good as the factory fit option..?
Once fitted, is it obvious that the sensors have been fitted as an after thought..? Do they stand proud of the bumper, etc..?
Is there a switch next to the gear stick to switch them off..? (I think the factory fit option has this switch)
Etc.....The price is about £350 fitted, so it isn't a cheap option.

Look forward to hearing any of your experiences, etc

Cheers
Mark

Flash2
28-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Hello again, Pimped. I've just been talking about parking sensors : http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9237

The VW retrofit parking sensors are Cobra park master. They fit flush with the bumper and can be colour coded if required. There is no switch to turn them off and if you've got a towbar it may interfere with the sensors (unless it's detachable, of course). But that's true of the factory fitted ones too. The retro fit sensors are probably better that the factory fitted ones because they have problems with water ingress. No such problems with the Cobra sensors.

Regards - Jim

Pimped-Passat
29-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks Jim,

I think I'll seriously consider buying the sensors as my previous car had them and it's only a matter of time before I end up reversing into something as I foolishly sit there waiting for the beeps to sound..!!

I am more concerned that the after market\dealer sensors would look rubbish. I pulled up behind an old Punto the other day that had obviously had parking sensors fitted as an after thought. They looked really bad as they stood about a quarter of an inch off the bumper..!

Still can't understand why anyone would need to have sensors fitted to a Punto, especially one that was worth about £75..!!!

Cheers
P-P

Flash2
29-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Still can't understand why anyone would need to have sensors fitted to a Punto, especially one that was worth about £75..!!!

I do...to double the value of the car :D

As for the sensors, the Cobra sensors look OK. Not quite as good as the factory fitted ones, but pretty close. A lot better than some I've seen fitted to some cars.

Look for yourself : http://www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.uk/content/Files/PDFs/PARKMASTER.pdf?from=17342661402737215
And shop around the net rather than buy from the dealer. http://www.drivenincar.com/shop/products.php?g1=fb2191

I've fitted a set to a passat before, so if you want to know where to drill the bumper, let me know and I'll post the measurements.

Regards - Jim.

Quatrelle
29-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi Flash2 (Jim!) This thread is running parallel to the 'Bumper removal' thread and I suppose there's no way of combining them, although perhaps a cross-reference would serve the same purpose.

You mentioned on the other thread that you'd post the measurements for drilling the bumper and it would be appreciated - and any other information that you haven't already given in the other thread!

Best wishes

John

Flash2
31-05-2007, 12:51 PM
John, here are the measurements for fitting the retrofit parking sensors.
These figures come from VW, so if you drill a hole and find a chunk of metal behind it, blame them :)

I've got measurements for the Passat Estate, but I won't post them until I can confirm that their correct. Something about the figures doesn't look right compared to the saloon version. I fitted sensors to a saloon, so I know those measurements are good.

Passat saloon : inner sensors are 350mm either side of centre. Outer sensors are 650mm either side of centre. All holes should be drilled 118mm up from the join of the bottom bumper valence.

It says in the instructions to drill an 18mm (I think) hole and file a 2mm notch at the top. This is so the sensors will only fit into the hole the right way round. I usually just drill the holes with a 21mm hole saw. That saves having to attack the bumper with a file which will no doubt slip causing a hasty visit to the paint shop. There is an index mark on the face to the Cobra sensors and it should be positioned at the 12 o'clock position when the sensors are fitted into the bumper. Also, cutting the holes with a cone cutter can cause problems due to the thickness of the plastic the bumper is made from. The hole will be the correct diameter at the outside surface, but slightly too small on the inside. That puts pressure on the sensors and stops them from vibrating properly. The unit wont calibrate if the sensors are tight in the holes. Of course, if you follow the VW instructions to the letter and remove the bumper you can just redrill the hole from the back so it's the same diameter straight through. In my experience, removing the bumper is not necessary. I feed the wires across the bumper through the sensor holes and number plate lamp holes. Once the bumper has been removed from the car, it becomes really flexible and is difficult to work with. It's also more likely to get scratched when removed. It's much easier to work with while it's firmly attached to the car.

Hope that helps - Jim

Quatrelle
31-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for your time and trouble Jim. If I get the chance I'll have a go at drilling (ugh! - masking tape should hopefully stop the bit slipping....) and fitting over the weekend. I've got the 21mm hole saw supplied with the Cisbo set. The sensors are black, but my Passat is v.dark brown (moka) so I doubt if I'll bother to spray them - I'll be in the garage armed with print outs of your posts.

Thanks again

Best wishes, John

Flash2
06-07-2007, 09:33 PM
These figures come from VW, so if you drill a hole and find a chunk of metal behind it, blame them :)

I've got measurements for the Passat Estate, but I won't post them until I can confirm that their correct. Something about the figures doesn't look right compared to the saloon version. I fitted sensors to a saloon, so I know those measurements are good.

I'm glad I didn't post those VW measurements for the Passat estate because they were wrong. I drilled the holes and found a chunk of metal right behind the holes. Luckily it was just the bumper crash bar and after some slight modification with an angle grinder, the sensors went on OK.

Here are the correct measurements for the Passat estate so you don't have to use the angle grinder :

Inner sensors are 200mm either side of centre. Outer sensors are 600mm either side of centre.
All holes should be drilled 90mm up from the join of the bottom bumper valence (not 30mm:mad: ).

Passat saloon : inner sensors are 350mm either side of centre. Outer sensors are 650mm either side of centre. All holes should be drilled 118mm up from the join of the bottom bumper valence.

Jim.

Quatrelle
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Jim - your reply brought me back to this thread. I thought I'd posted something a while ago, but must have hit the wrong button:Blush2: after I'd posted about lifting the rear seat......

I had to delay drilling my bumper, and I'm glad I did. My wife had been in the UK and the day she returned I became the owner of a Meta Targa SR2 reversing aid (she was unaware that I'd bought some sensors). It sits behind and around the rear number plate - I'm sure you know the thing - so saves drilling anywhere that shows. I managed to find the correct reversing light wire behind the boot trim. In France you have to rivet your number plates to the car, so I had to mess about with the fittings, but it looks fine.

My only criticism is that the volume of the speaker isn't loud enough even on maximum to hear it if it's in the boot, so I cut a small round hole in the 'carpet' just below the front centre of the rear seat and lodged it there - it's virtually invisible. (It was almost inaudible when getting into a hot car with the aircon blowing full on.)

But thanks for your input, especially on the reversing light wire!