PDA

View Full Version : Automatic lights

golf_bhoy87
12-04-2010, 11:35 AM
guys,

my old man got the new scirocco the other week....not sure if this is correct or not but the side lights stay on the car even when they are set to the OFF position, I know they can be set to AUTO, but even when we put it to off the side light icon is illuminated and the lights stay on...

anyone else get this?

cheers

maisbitt
12-04-2010, 01:56 PM
It's not the side lights, it's the dipped beam (unless the VW dealer changed them through VAGCOM). It stays permanently on (like a Volvo), as there is some new EU legislation requiring "driving lights" to be permanently on (think it comes into force 2011 or 2012).

VW is implementing it early. Some model year variants allow you to switch them off, otherwise you'll have to ask someone with VAGCOM to do it for you.

Makes a mockery of the auto lights - all the auto light function does now is light up your dash when it gets dark. The dipped beam goes off when you flick over to sidelights only.

golf_bhoy87
12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
It's not the side lights, it's the dipped beam (unless the VW dealer changed them through VAGCOM). It stays permanently on (like a Volvo), as there is some new EU legislation requiring "driving lights" to be permanently on (think it comes into force 2011 or 2012).

VW is implementing it early. Some model year variants allow you to switch them off, otherwise you'll have to ask someone with VAGCOM to do it for you.

Makes a mockery of the auto lights - all the auto light function does now is light up your dash when it gets dark. The dipped beam goes off when you flick over to sidelights only.

I had wondered that....nice 1 eu another way to make more money out the tax payer....I don't think people realise how much extra fuel it costs to run head lights on when not required!

cheers for this

Ravens
12-04-2010, 08:21 PM
VW Dealer can switch off daytime lights. Done on ours.

Flash2
13-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Hello again old bhoy.

Here is how to turn those running lights off. It doesn't work on all models, but give it a try :-

switch ignition off.
move indicator stalk down (turn left)
with stalk still down, pull back to activate main beam flash.
turn on ignition.
when the left hand indicator flashes approx 5 times you should hear a chime and the running lights should be deactivated.

To reactivate them do as above except move stalk up (turn right).

Jim.

maisbitt
13-04-2010, 10:37 AM
The dealer should give you the choice to turn them off for free when you pick up the car new, seeing as DRLs aren't yet compulsory - mine wanted £60 to do it.

Every time there's a leap forward in fuel consumption for an engine, theres an EU regulation that'll sap that increase in efficiency. Whats next, compulsory use of the aircon? VW already tried this - my early Mk5 GT TDI Golf had aircon on by default and you had to turn it off every time you jumped in the car - annoyed the hell out of me! VW took this feature off on the later MK5's.

DRLs are a pain in the ****, I've had loads of people shoot out of a side road in front of me, causing me to slam the brakes on, as they thought I was flashing them out.

golf_bhoy87
13-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll see what the folks say. The Golfs going to the dealer tomorrow so I'll ask them then

VW drivers will be starting to get the rep of Volvo drivers soon enough!:aargh4:

macmillions
17-04-2010, 11:57 AM
DRLs are a pain in the ****, I've had loads of people shoot out of a side road in front of me, causing me to slam the brakes on, as they thought I was flashing them out.

I thought DRL's have been brought in to make cars more visable? Yet another law which is a bit backwards. A bit like DPFs on deisels...