PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Looking for first A4

5up3rman
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Hiya guys & gals.

Looking for my first A4 currently. Have had Golfs for the most part and want an Audi now.
Currently i'm keeping my eyes open for 2001-2002 models. Either 2.0 variation of some sort or the 1.8T/1.8TQ.

Seem to be quite a few around currently but i wanna try and find something with sub 100K mileage.
In your opionions what would be the preferred model to get the 2.0 or the 1.8T.
Is there any difference in reliability/problems between the two models?

Thanks

Getaway_Driver
12-04-2010, 06:39 PM
I would personally go for a 1.8T - much more fun to drive than the 2.0 variant.

Just keep your eyes out for the usual stuff - service history, doesn't burn or leak oil and is the turbo still strong. Also on the 1.8T the timing belt has to be changed (at 80k I think). It's good to get the water pump etc changed at the same time. I'm sure lots of other members can give you more points to look out for!

I had a 1.8 A4 and it was extremely reliable over the years I had it. I sold it over a year ago with 193,000 miles on the clock! Good Luck!!

5up3rman
12-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Cheers getaway

Thats what i'm leaning towards right now.
Keeping my eyes open for something in the NW/W London area.
apart from autotrader and exchange & mart
can anyone recommend other places i can search online, my mate said pistonheads is quite good

shanemcconn
13-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I have a 2000 A4 1.8T quattro sport and it's great fun. The engine puts a smile on my face every time i go for a drive, even if it's just down to the shops and back.

If your looking at 2001~2002 then that'd be the newer B6 model which (as far as i know) is a different chassis, body and interior to mine, so i can't really say much about that. However, I imagine the engines are probably the same in both and if you can get your hands on a turbo, i'd go for it. If your lucky you might find a 'Sport' like mine which has the engine uprated by 20% from 150bhp to 180bhp, but i'm not sure if the newer B6 models did an option like that. Maybe thats what the 'S-Line' is, but i'm not sure.

N47HAN
13-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I have a 1997 1.8T, by far the best car I've ever had, really tuneable engine, mines running over 200bhp, there great fun to drive, they suprise a lot of people as well. The 03 upwards is nice, a friend of mine has one, they look better then 01-02s. Up to you mine will be up for sale soon, not that it meets your requirements but just in case!

5up3rman
13-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Thnaks guys.
Yea i do pretty much have my heart set on a 1.8T, just scouring around for the right one.
Of course i'd love to have a newer shape model but finance tell me i can only really stretch to a 2001-2002.
I'm, on autotrader, ebay and exchange and mart constantly waiting for one
:biglaugh:

fourringsrus
13-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Definitely try Pistonheads classifieds

Stuart

5up3rman
13-04-2010, 11:50 PM
By the way when i go to check some cars out,any tips on what to look for?
cambelt, tensioner, waater pump etc.
are there other serious and non serious points look for
thanks

shanemcconn
15-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Timing belts need to be done around the 60,000 mark and usually the water pump is done at this time too, as its easy to do at the same time. If your getting the turbo model make sure there is no issue with the oil pressure sensor as if it fails it can pretty much destroy the entire engine. This happened to a friend of mine and he was not a happy camper :). So if the sensor has been changed try to find out why, as it could have led to lots of other damage to the engine. Needless to say if that warning light pops on while driving the car, stop immediatly and don't start the engine again untill a mechanic has a look at it.

Make sure to check the inside edge of all the tires too. I recently had to get 4 new tires which cost about €500. The outside edges of the tires were fine only the inside edges were worn. You should probably look at the cv boots as well. That's easy enough to check by fully locking the steering in either direction with the car parked and then you should be able to see them. Make sure they aren't cracked or leaking and that the rubber seals still look nice and fresh. They can cost around €350 just to replace the seal. You should probably also check the ones from the rear diff and rear cvs if its a quattro, however they aren't so easy to check without getting the car up on a lift. I was quoted €350 recently just to change one of the rear diff seals.

Anyway, hope this helps.

5up3rman
15-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks very much for that advise.
I know things may look good all on the outside but it's those little things which will end up costing a bomb.
Still got my eyes peeled for a good one in my area