PDA

View Full Version : Help will my car be able to tow!!!??

Kelli
10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi All

I have an Audi A4 Avant S Line (08 plate) 2.0 Diesel im looking into buying a Swift Charisma 620.

Does any one know if the car will tow ok?

Any advice much appreciated have until sunday morning to make my mind up.

Many thanks

Kelli

adamss24
10-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Should be fine as Tdi's makes for a very good tow machine, just watch so you dont ride the clutch too much-if manual- and not to overheat the gearbox oil if an auto.

Deviousdavey
14-04-2010, 11:32 AM
I'd say that the Swift is a little too heavy for you to tow..... not due to underpowering, but due to the fact that the Kerb weight of your vehicle is listed as ~1595 Kgs, and the caravan with nothing in it weighs ~1480 Kgs (allowing for gas bottles and all the other stuff we load our vans up with this brings it up to around 1600 Kgs......... Recommendations state that it is only advisable to tow upto 85% of the vehicle weight, and experienced towers can go upto 100%.

Dave

limecc
05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Try www.whattowcar.com for free matching. Even better is www.towsafe.co.uk but you have to pay a small fee. If you are a member of the Caravan Club you get two free matches.

The van's MTPLM is 1640Kgs and the cars kerbweight is 1535Kgs so it is an unsafe 108% match, but do try Towsafe as well.

allroad - PH
18-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Is this a new shape A4?

If it is, my neighbour had a major problem.

When he bought the car he was informed by the dealer that it could be fitted with an aftermarket towbar. It transpired that it could only be fitted with an Audi towbar by a dealer at a cost of +£1k (needed a new intercooler as well as the towbar).

He was lucky and got the dealer to pay the difference between the Audi towbar and the what it would have cost for a witter (detacheable towbar).

Hop you do not have this problem