PDA

View Full Version : A4 1999 Key Transpoder Encoding

snosage
10-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi All. I have a 1999 a4 1.9TDI, have the spare key but it opens the door but engine only fires and dies with security warning on dash so I'm guessing transponder is not 100%. Is there a way to try and re-encode the secodn key from the first? Its NOT a remote control, needs key to open close etc. Any ideas really appreciated Cheers Jim

shark_90
10-04-2010, 06:04 PM
You'll need the Secret Key Code (SKC) which can be extracted from your instrument cluster by someone with the correct tools (such as ourselves) or coded by a dealer.

snosage
10-04-2010, 08:31 PM
yo Sharkie, I believe it can be done without SKC, but if not I'll drive on my existing key, the cars 10 year old, I double the value when I fill it up

shark_90
10-04-2010, 11:06 PM
It cannot be done without the SKC to my knowledge and I do a lot of key coding :)

DKatende
09-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Dear Snosage,

Hope you got sorted if not here is some proven guidance
Things You'll Need:
•Two Audi keys
Instructions
1.Step 1
Place one of the keys in the ignition and twist it one click forward. This will turn on your car without starting the engine.

2.Step 2
Exit the car and shut the door.

3.Step 3
Lock the driver's side door with the second key. Do not use the remote.

4.Step 4
With the key in the door, press the key's "unlock" button once. The headlights on your Audi will blink twice, but your doors will stay locked.

5.Step 5
Unlock and re-lock the door with the key. Do not use the remote.

6.Step 6
Remove the key from the door and the key from the ignition, and check whether the reprogramming was successful.

7.Step 7
Repeat the process, but switch the keys: put the programmed key in the ignition and, put the unprogrammed key in the door lock.

Tips & Warnings
•Before you exit the car, roll down your window (in case a problem arises).
•-If your headlights don't blink, try pressing the "unlock" button twice.
•-If your doors unlock when you press the "unlock" button, lock the door with the key. Then unlock it.
References
•AudiWorld.com: Reprogramming Audi Switchblade Keys
•Audi TT Car Club America: How Do I Reprogram the Remote Control?
•AudiForums.com: How to Reprogram the Switchblade Key

long_p1
26-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi Guys, i've just picked up a '96 1.8 A4, i'm guessing it has a problem with the key, similar problem as above. Only have one key at mo and sometimes is starts, sometimes it don't and have to try a number of times for warning light to go out (owner did tell me this).
as a note is not a REMOTE central locking key
Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Paul

31satara
27-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I have two remote keys for my A4 so I'm ok! However, my son has just got a 03 Ibiza with only one key (remote) and so I've been looking to see if there is a cheapish way of getting him a spare. I've seen the above method posted somewhere else but was under the impression it was only of use to reprogramme a new or used remote transponder - of no help with the immobiliser.
From what I gather, a new immobiliser chip is needed and this needs to be done by a dealer or autolocksmith, or shark above! What is the cost of this shark? Do you supply keys and cut also?

aichqu
11-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Dear Snosage,

Hope you got sorted if not here is some proven guidance
Things You'll Need:
•Two Audi keys
Instructions
1.Step 1
Place one of the keys in the ignition and twist it one click forward. This will turn on your car without starting the engine.

2.Step 2
Exit the car and shut the door.

3.Step 3
Lock the driver's side door with the second key. Do not use the remote.

4.Step 4
With the key in the door, press the key's "unlock" button once. The headlights on your Audi will blink twice, but your doors will stay locked.

5.Step 5
Unlock and re-lock the door with the key. Do not use the remote.

6.Step 6
Remove the key from the door and the key from the ignition, and check whether the reprogramming was successful.

7.Step 7
Repeat the process, but switch the keys: put the programmed key in the ignition and, put the unprogrammed key in the door lock.

Tips & Warnings
•Before you exit the car, roll down your window (in case a problem arises).
•-If your headlights don't blink, try pressing the "unlock" button twice.
•-If your doors unlock when you press the "unlock" button, lock the door with the key. Then unlock it.
References
•AudiWorld.com: Reprogramming Audi Switchblade Keys
•Audi TT Car Club America: How Do I Reprogram the Remote Control?
•AudiForums.com: How to Reprogram the Switchblade Key
I have also got a problem with my remote, it just stopped working and have only got the 1 key. If I try your suggested method is there any risk of not being able to use the key to lock/unlock/start the car. I really fancy trying it out.

ini
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
The above '2 key' method is only for adding another 'keyless entry' remote to the system, it does not affect the ignition immobiliser or the use of the key in the doors.

If your immobiliser is only disabled intermittently, then you most likely have a problem with the reader coil around the ignition barrel.

It is only possible to add keys without the SKC to older cars (non-rolling code immo-1 or immo-2 systems, upto 1999ish) by cloning one of the main key's transponders. The car then see's both keys as the same key.

More modern keys from immo-3 onwards have rolling code transponders and cloning is not effective as only one of the new keys will continue to work.

phil's avant
26-07-2010, 08:27 AM
To follow on from this, I have a 98 A4 with remote, I have exactly the same problem ie warning light on and the engine dies on me within 3 or 4 seconds. However this applies to all of my 3 keys. How do a rectify please? Many thanks for your help. Phil

shark_90
26-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Has this problem just occured randomly?

phil's avant
27-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Yes, but it has started to get worse. The first couple of times I eventually got the car started, this time I can no longer get it to start. I have tried for a couple of days when I get back home. All 3 keys don't appear to be recognised. Phil