PDA

View Full Version : VRS PD engine diesel priming and starting problems

Mark VRS
10-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi there. New member with a question. I'm trying to sort out a fault with my 54 plate Fabia VRS. I believe that my local garage has mixed up their petrol and diesel and am now having problems with my car.

Whilst driving last night the car started shuddering whilst under load and the engine finally stopped running. Having spoken to a friend who works for VAG he thought that the car may have had some petrol in the diesel and to try changing the filter.

Having done this, I still can not get the engine to start. I have tried the method where the ignition is turned on and off for 5 times or so and no joy.

Has anyone else any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mark

zollaf
10-04-2010, 11:06 AM
you need to confirm that it has petrol in first. just smell the fuel, and petrol smell should be immediately obvious. your car will run with quite a bit of petrol in it. about 25 % is acceptable. if however you filled it from nearly empty, it wont run on just the petrol, and changing the filter wont help at all. in this instance you will need to drain the tank and refil with diesel. so the first job is to find out exactly what is in the tank. try going back to the garage and asking, or even just put some fromt he nozzle into a can, like i said , petrol and diesel smell completely different. if this is the case and the garage has made a mistake, you wont be the only person affected, and im sure that the garage will be only to happy to pick up your bill.

Mark VRS
10-04-2010, 11:35 AM
There was an announcement on the radio, but i think my other half hadn't heard it.

Does smell a little like petrol. Had 1/4 tank of diesel in then filled up with about 1/2 tank or so of possibly contaminated fuel. Drove the car for a couple of hundred miles and durin a heavy spanking after dropping the missus off it occoured.

So tank was drained of a diesel/contaminated mix to under a 1/4 then I've filled the tank with fresh clean diesel (thinking that the gauge might be faulty)