PDA

View Full Version : changeing bulbs

golf tdi 02
28-05-2007, 10:05 AM
sorry but is it me or can you change the main light bulb in you golf ..bora.. in under 5 mins also the side light
i did this yesterday and what a nightmare
there is no room to get your hand in to get the side lighbulb out
shurely you dont take the headlight out to do this
this is the first time i ve had to do this as a police officer stopped me to inform me that i had a main beam light out
that was nice of him hey:zx11:

v6dub
28-05-2007, 11:54 AM
There is no easy way to do it, it took me over 2 hours, and I had to take out the battery to fit my hand in. You just have to stick with it.

amz
28-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Ha, this is something that I always dread with cars. I struggled to fit the headlight bulb and ended up fidgeting around so much with it, that the new bulb actually died out when I finally managed to get it in.... a word of advice - DON'T touch the glass bit of the new bulb as it will easily blow (strange, but true apparently).

I ended up paying my local garage £7 for him to change it for me... took him about 5minutes to remove/insert the bulb... he removed some sort of clips and messed around under the bonnet, but its possible to do within a few minutes... just got to know WHAT and WHERE the stuff is :-(

(If you think the Golf is tough, have a go at the 206 - its a nightmare!)

golf tdi 02
28-05-2007, 04:59 PM
if anyone can change the side light bulb in under 5 min then ill eat my vw badge
:confused:

Timtom
18-06-2007, 02:31 PM
There is no easy way to do it, it took me over 2 hours, and I had to take out the battery to fit my hand in. You just have to stick with it.

Hi. Just finished changing the front sidelight on my Mk IV 2.0 GTI. MOT was due today. Alan Day VW Express Fix in North London said they would charge me £18.00 to replace so I thought I would give it go myself. Sidelight bulb certainly was awkward. As mentioned previously the battery does have to come to make it easier to accesss hole at the rear of the light. Start to finish took me about 1/2 hour but think i might have been lucky. If you ring the dealer they may tell you to bring it in which is not necessary. Side light bulb cost 50p.

Rob_k
18-06-2007, 02:46 PM
just take the battery out to make it easier mate!

golf tdi 02
23-06-2007, 12:35 PM
i think ill have another go at this but post some pics to show how to be done

;)

Swanny130
24-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I take it you mean the passenger side, I had a go at driver's side a few months ago, took 3 or 4 screws out and wasn't too hard, Haynes is useless, pictures are rubbish, couldn't work out the metal clips but got there in the end, passenger side did look more complicated.

Cara2007
24-06-2007, 06:12 PM
It takes a lot of patience, the bulb I replaced with blew too so I had to do it again. Didnt bother removing the battery just willpower.

All I can say is practice makes perfect as do small hands :p

tsunami
24-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi all,

Theres a tutorial on how to change them (with pictures) at :

http://laudeman.com/volkswagen/golf_headlight.html

It was made by a guy called Tom.

diesel nut
25-06-2007, 10:06 AM
i have to agree on this one
what a pig of a job
they certanally know to build them to the main dealer benifits
was there a joke on how many people to change a light bulb?:confused:

tsunami
26-06-2007, 07:39 PM
was there a joke on how many people to change a light bulb?:confused:

How many mechanics to change a vw light bulb?

"4, one to change the bulb the other three to total up the bill" :D

Sorry i know its an absolute terrible joke but it had me laughing when i thought of it (very sad) :biglaugh:

diesel nut
28-06-2007, 01:39 PM
no worries it had me laughing
:beerchug: