PDA

View Full Version : Converting an Avant in to a Pickup

the_k
09-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm seriously thinking about converting my 80 Avant in to a pick-up but I'm struggling to find any information about the legalities of it i.e. do I need to get the DVLA to sign it off?

Does any one know here I might be able to find more information on the subject of modifying cars for the road?

RickT
09-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I think you maybe ok if you are just amending the body only..

My mate cut up his land Rover Discovery into a pickup and it did not required a SVA as the original unmodified chassis was still present.

See here for more info

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

Rick

the_k
09-04-2010, 03:09 PM
I think it is a bit easier to get around with a Discovery as i'm pretty sure they have got a separate chassis and the body is not structural.

The Audi 80 would from what i can work out be classed as a monocoque so there lies my question.

Hmmm...

Captain Answer
09-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Think you would need an SVA due to the mono chassis, which would take a bit of strengthening if you took away the roof - just buy a caddy :)

NickPicks
12-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I think you'd have to SVA it, otherwise you'd fail the next MOT based on structural integrity.

Presumably you either have or know someone who has the required engineering knowledge to cut off the roof, and reinforce the rest of the chassis to maintain the structure of the vehicle. If you just angle gring the roof off, then your car won't be safe, and it won't have much load carrying capacity before it folds in half - look at the size of the chassis rails on a Toyota pick up for example.

I'm with the Captain on this one: If you need a pickup, buy one.