PDA

View Full Version : How To remove sun tan lotion stains on silver paintwork

trogmac5
08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I have finger and handprints on my silver painted bodywork from children with sun tan lotion on thier hands. I can't shift it! Tee cut makes no impression . The marks show up as pale white but become invisible at certain angles . It is driving me crackers. Any ideas out there ?

niggles
14-05-2010, 09:52 PM
trogmac5 - I have a Silver Touran and also have this problem. I must admit I wasn't really sure what caused it until I found some small handprint shaped marks and the penny dropped... Anyway at this point my message is more one of support rather than a definitive answer. I too have tried a T-cut and other scratch compounds, but with no success - like you say you think you have cracked it, then there it is again.
Reading around various articles on the internet it seems there are plenty of potential solutions, but not many actual tried and tested methods. I have seen suggestions that "Meguiars Scratch X" can solve this issue - I might just give it a go. Any other experience out there? Anyway when I get around to it I'll post my findings..... Could be a few weeks though as it sounds like a lot of elbow grease is required and the footballs on...

trogmac5
18-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I think that I have stumbled across the cure !
I received a random Email praising the multiple uses of WD40 and thought it worth a try - and it appears to have done the trick. I did it five days ago and still no sign of it returning. However, I am still sceptical following all the
previous attempts that seem to work for a while.
I feel quite elated after a couple of years or more of frustration!
I will let you know if it comes back. In the mean time make sure all Mums and Grannies learn to apply the lotion sparingly to thier little darlings -preferebly make them wear gloves.:D

Eshrules
18-05-2010, 12:08 PM
god help your paint, that's all I'll say, t-cut and then WD40?

you might want to google the term 'oxidisation of paint'