PDA

View Full Version : recirculation motor

glynnd
23-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Local dealer has just told me that the recirculation motor/flap is defective on my 03 plate passat done 90k. He tells me it will cost £500 to put right as dash needs removing. VW customer services has offered me 35% contribution towards the repair. Has anybody else had this fault and had vw contribute? I think ther are being a bit tight over this as my car has fvwsh and its not 3 year old yet!

AJR
18-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Local dealer has just told me that the recirculation motor/flap is defective on my 03 plate passat done 90k. He tells me it will cost £500 to put right as dash needs removing. VW customer services has offered me 35% contribution towards the repair. Has anybody else had this fault and had vw contribute? I think ther are being a bit tight over this as my car has fvwsh and its not 3 year old yet!

Hi, I have the same problem - re-circulation motor has stuck and makes a loud clicking noise somewhere between the passenger airbag & glove compartment.

Local dealer (Swindon) has quoted me £870 quid to fix this! Apparently, the whole dash has to come out, plus most of the climate control system, just so that they can replace a £160 motor!!

The dealer's technician told me this is a common problem with Passatts and they've already fixed other passats.

My Passat is 2000 (W) with 120K miles. It's a shame because the car is still a great runner and has many more miles left.

I would like to know what I can do to get some contribution from VW service? Any advice as to who to contact please.

Thanks,

AJR

:1zhelp:

Diesel
22-04-2007, 09:05 PM
**deep breath.

Its actually quite easy to fix and i can go through this with you if you want anyway very very quick summary............

tools needed... torx screwdriver set
long screwdriver/crowbar !!!!
pozie drive ( 2)

Duration of task approx 40 mins pro 1 hour noob.
level of skill needed ( 1 mr bean 10 Michael Schumacher ) 3

Remove glove box
move 3 screw located on motor housing
remove motor
remove bushes
turn bushes round
push motor back
screw the screws back
enjoy your coffee

snapdragon
22-04-2007, 09:35 PM
I reckon most 1997-2003 Passats have this problem.
A bug that VW never bothered to address.
The fault code is....
01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)
searching google for this shows umpteen ocurrances.
Diesel, are your instructions for the main blower motor, or this flap?

Diesel
22-04-2007, 09:50 PM
"blower" motor.

Col
22-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I had the V71 go dud on my Golf and I managed change it as on the Golf it is located on the side of the heater housing. I believe on the Passat that it is at the back of the heater housing hence the need to remove the dash.

A proper epic struggle of a job on the Golf.

Quite stangely on the Passat I'm getting the V71 error when I read it for faults but the clima display is not flashing. I can live with that an I never use the re-circ function anyway.

...Saying that, I like a challenge and was told "It can't be done on the Golf without the dash out." but I did it !

When I've completed building my extension to my house and a bit more car time I will investigate this !

RichardStanton
18-07-2007, 11:48 PM
I can;t get the motor out it gets stuck.