PDA

View Full Version : Bust computer or Audi trying to sell me something??

proxymoose
27-05-2007, 08:11 PM
As a new user to the forum I thought that I would come in with a bang! I have a 1999 A6 Avant 2.4 SE showing a brake fluid warning light on the main computer. It beeps annoyingly for a few seconds, then just flashes silently for the rest of the journey, blocking the screen with the big exclamation mark in a circle picture!!

I have changed the sensors in the fluid, wheels etc and still this message flashes. A local -excellent- garage replaced the (all) sensors), topped up the fluids and tried to upgrade the software but after no joy whatesoever told me to go to Audi and they might be able to help.....they thought it might be a software problem. Audi then of course told me that I needed a new computer at £700+.

Is it possible that if a warning light stays on it means that the whole computer is bust? Would it not just crash? Or give a blue (orange) screen?

Am I really looking at purchasing a new computer? If so, where would I get one cheap and is there any perils in doing this?

She is a beautiful car on a T with only 70,000m and service history from new! Please don't make me break my baby!!

Please help.........

onzarob
27-05-2007, 09:26 PM
If you want to reset the ecu disconnect the battery for 30mins and see if the fault returns. You could try and source a second hand ecu or get yours refurbished.

Try here

www.bba-reman.com (http://www.bba-reman.com)

They have a good section on common faults aswell.

Rob:D

proxymoose
27-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I'll try that in the morning!

Cambrai
30-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Does the Brake fluid warning light come on as soon as you start the ignition or after driving a short distance?

proxymoose
30-05-2007, 01:38 PM
The brake fluid warning light comes on after about 20 seconds or so. It then beeps for about a minute then just flashes and stays on. Bizarre