PDA

View Full Version : A4 143 so sloooowwwwwww

Geofferson2007
06-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Well I've had my A4 for around two weeks now and have done around 700 miles. I can't help noticing how slow it feels. I had been spoilt as I had a 2.0TSi Scirocco but handed that back and then had a banger 1.9 TDi A4 on a 53 plate for twelve weeks before the new A4.

The car is lovley but in SE form, feels very boat like. Crappy seats and wallowy suspension.

I used to have a 170 PS S-Line B7 which was great, I can't help thinking that the car lacks any fun element whatsoever.

What are your thoughts out there peeps??

Maybe a bluefin is the order of the day??

thescouselander
06-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I think if you're looking to make your A4 SE drive like a Scirocco you're probably onto a loser. Even if you up the power the suspension will still be soft. And will you be able to get the power to the road without wider tyres?

I think the SE model has many good qualities (I have one myself) but I wouldn't say its the car to be driven hard round twisty roads - its more of a cruiser really.

Corp123
07-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I came from an e60 m5 to a new A4 avant 143 s line tdi. With the sline kit, car feels sharp and fun on twisties imo. I had mine tweaked by dms, and it now feels pretty quick! However, not bought the car for speed, and it's the other bits of the car that really impresses for me.

A1287210
07-04-2010, 08:47 AM
With fuel prices going up and up (£70) to fill up yesterday :aargh4: (60 litres at £1.17 a litre)
I'm quite glad I don't have anything bigger than 143

Damo

Gemini
07-04-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a 170PS SE Avant, and thats not much better, not at all quick. Yes I agree the suspension and handling are attrocious, no fun at all to drive, but nice as a cruiser, which is why I bought it.

The Polisher
07-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Might just be tight?

My 143 Tdi didn't start producing some real power until it had about 5k on the clock.

Now at 24k, feels much quicker and more powerful.

Gemini
07-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Its already done 9K. Ive been considering taking it back/getting it checked out, the steering is so bad, hard to keep in a straight line at times, not at all re-assuring.
By the way where did you get your detachable tow bar from, was it a factory fit?

The Polisher
07-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Yeah, factory fit, had to to avoid the problems with towbar prep/no prep etc.

If you are thinking of a towbar, suggest you search this forum for "towbar issues" as there are some problems with a retro fit.

Steering, shouldn't be an issue, mine is fine although with wide S line wheels it can sometimes follow tracks in the road............ but only occasionally.

Gemini
07-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Already got the tow bar problems, wish I had read the threads on this site before spending my hard earned cash. Now looks like a £1500 bill for the upgrade. Thanks anyway!

Geofferson2007
07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Might just be tight?

My 143 Tdi didn't start producing some real power until it had about 5k on the clock.

Now at 24k, feels much quicker and more powerful.

Or maybe you got used to it being slow??

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, apart from the door squeel and the miscellaneous rattle somewhere in the dash board!! But I did get 62mpg on the way home last night!!!!

The thing is, I don't expect it to be like my pocket rocket Scirocco but I was very surprised by the soft suspension. If only I could have had an S-Line!

pitch3110
07-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Its horses for courses........

You cann't buy a 1 1/4 ton car with 143 PS and expect it to be fast.
Yes I would be happy with a bit more grunt, but I am very happy with the power of mine and multi just adds to the experience with 8 forward ratio's in 'M' to ensure you are always in the optimum if its pace (as much as can be expected) you want.

Wifey has a 230PS Edition 30 Golf GTI which a seriously quick car and when I jump from it into the A4 it does seem slugglish, but I think most motors would.

I did 600 miles over the weekend in the A4, which included motorway dashes (80ish), A roads and a lot of time in central London traffic and it managed a TRUE 45MPG which I was very happy with.

The ED30 would have also done the trip alot quicker ('cause you just do), would have been a tad un comfortable and would have struggled to manage 35.

As said at the start horses for courses.

Shame you are not happy but as said earlier in the tread, mine has now covered 8k and is noticably quicker and more economically.
Ta
Pitch

xtremist
07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Must admit my 143 sline feels a lot slower than my previous Leon 140 tdi.

The Leon had a real kick at just over 2000rpm, however the A4 has a more linear power delivery and in all honesty doesn't feel quick untill you approach the national speed limit ;)

I'm happy with the change, just need to find something to carry in the boot :D

dwl99
11-04-2010, 07:03 AM
try increasing the tyre pressures to the "fully loaded" settings, it helped a bit on mine. Although I completely agree with the wallowy ride and floaty steering comments.