PDA

View Full Version : Autel VAGSCAN VAG405 Fault Code Reader

TFSIer
06-04-2010, 06:07 PM
I gather this is also re-branded as a Gunson's unit.

Has anyone had experience of using one and how useful it is for identifying and clearing codes ? I accept it won't give the funcionality that VCDS does.

In particular how good is it at identifying specfc VAG fault codes rather than generic OBD codes ?

sps
12-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Has anyone had experience of using one and how useful it is for identifying and clearing codes ? I accept it won't give the funcionality that VCDS does.

In particular how good is it at identifying specfc VAG fault codes rather than generic OBD codes ?

I m thinking of getting the AUTEL VAG405 for about 55 quid from amazon.
looks like it will work on various systems such as engine,auto transmission,central locking,abs,etc and on engine only on other european obd2 compliant cars.

sps
21-04-2010, 09:20 AM
i bought the autel vag405
i am happy with it-it works fine on my vw bora 1.9tdi-2004 model car.
was a snip at £55 delivered from amazonuk.
it came with latest software, v2.8 .
it will also work on other makes of car that are obd2 compliant but for engine related faults only.
it will also rest oil/insp service messsage but not tried that option yet.

TFSIer
24-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the replies sps.

Have you scanned your Bora and did it come up with any fault codes ?

sps
25-04-2010, 10:37 AM
i did indeed scan the bora and no fault codes came up-but i did this just as a test as the car was not showing any fault lights on the dash.

it is an easy to use tool and has menus for the engine,abs,auto transmission,central locking,steering,immobiliser,reset oil service,etc,(18 in total).

i thought it was good value at £55 delivered from autosensor at amazon.

if i use it once,it will pay for itself and as a bonus it works on vw,audi,seat and skodas and other obd2 compliant cars but for engine related faults only,.

it comes with 2 leads,one which has the 16 pin obd 2 connector and the other has usb lead to connect to a pc to upgrade software,but mine has the latest v2.8 software on it. There is a nylon carrycase and a paper user guide included.

CDPDesign
26-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Bought one of these some time ago- They are ok, but not as good as laptop based applications. Does all the basics, reads codes, resets faults etc... £50 odd can be put to better use though and better products are available.

zollaf
27-04-2010, 08:31 PM
i did indeed scan the bora and no fault codes came up-but i did this just as a test as the car was not showing any fault lights on the dash.

just because the em light isnt showing doesnt mean there isnt a code. this reader however wont find them since it only reads obd codes and not manufacturer specific codes. so basically it will only read a code that puts the em light on. not much help if you have an overboost fault as you still need to find someone with a more expensive computer, or vcds to read it for you.

sps
18-05-2010, 10:11 AM
just because the em light isnt showing doesnt mean there isnt a code. this reader however wont find them since it only reads obd codes and not manufacturer specific codes. so basically it will only read a code that puts the em light on. not much help if you have an overboost fault as you still need to find someone with a more expensive computer, or vcds to read it for you.

guess you are right in a way but for 55 quid i thought it was worth it because if you went ot an indy or vw -you would pay at least that much to have the fault diagnosed and light reset

Eshrules
18-05-2010, 01:33 PM
guess you are right in a way but for 55 quid i thought it was worth it because if you went ot an indy or vw -you would pay at least that much to have the fault diagnosed and light reset

yep, but an indy or dealer would be able to actually read the codes.

aggie
19-06-2010, 11:36 PM
I have just bought one of these and thought it was fairly useful, ignoring the codes it actually told me the fault.
Mine was the glow plugs and EGR
Helpful as I have told the garage I use in advance so they can make sure they get the parts in
useful I thought

sps
05-09-2010, 09:23 PM
i got an emissions light come up on my bora last week.
i used my AUTEL vag405 scan tool and it came up with fault code 17644.
this points to a faulty engine coolant temperature switch.
so the tool is good as it gives vag codes and directs you towards the fault.
i would say this is a value for cash tool considering i paid £55 for it some mths back,it is now available for £46 .

phil miller
05-09-2010, 09:36 PM
i got an emissions light come up on my bora last week.
i used my AUTEL vag405 scan tool and it came up with fault code 17644.
this points to a faulty engine coolant temperature switch.
so the tool is good as it gives vag codes and directs you towards the fault.
i would say this is a value for cash tool considering i paid £55 for it some mths back,it is now available for £46 .

do you have a link for this scan tool??

sps
06-09-2010, 07:53 AM
do you have a link for this scan tool??

try ebay item number 160476564630.=£44.95 delivered

or go to amazon and do a search for vag405 to see if anything is cheaper there.

best to stick to uk suppliers.

stonedagain
11-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Just got one today, seems a good piece of kit for the price. Not as comprehensive as VCDS which I also have, but handy for a quick scan.

mgray167
12-09-2010, 11:06 AM
iv got one of these and i tend to keep it in the car with me incase im away somewhere with the car n a light appears just so i no if im ok to continue my journey.i think its ok,i used to have a smaller blue code reader/resetter dunno what make it was n that was better for carrying about as it was much smaller.

but yeah i did a scan with it and it came up with a skelp of codes n i reset them and its been fine since

TFSIer
21-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. Finally bought one off ebay :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-405-MaxiScan-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-CAN-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-/160482295435?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item255d7d7e8b

Performed scan and got 12600 and 08200 DTCs. Unfortunately the tool couldn't give specific info on these but they match 2 of the codes found at garage's diagnostic a while ago following my EPC light coming on a couple of times and car going into limp mode (12600=P3138 Intake manifold flap control difference and 08200=P2008 Intake manifold flap motor open circuit). Car sorted itself before I could get it looked at but got diagnostic performed anyway and codes were cleared. Car runs fine and no EPC light but these two codes have been logged again ?

Guess I'll clear them down for now and see if they reappear or notice any effect on performance.

Tool is certainly quick and easy to use and agree its useful to keep in car in case of problems to see how serious the fault is.

Ignacious
13-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Ive just bought on of these from egay..44 quid delivered...very handy bit of kit for quick diagnosis..used it on a couple of vw vans we use at work..mainly on service reset lights..piece of cake to use,simple,clear and quick..no complaints in the kit itself,other than the plug was a bit mishaped..had to warm it up with a hot air gun to shape it!!The seller was very helpful,emailed me to give me his mob number in case of issues...no complaints!!Bit cheaper than the snapon solus we use at work!!!:beerchug: