PDA

View Full Version : Please Help banded steel wheels

Natty-P
06-04-2010, 03:51 PM
easy,

i am soon to be buying some g60 steelies, i am wanting to get these banded with the stretched tires too.

i have been told by a friend "its illegal to drive on them"

so im curious if they are or not.. can anyone help me with this situation??
has anyone been pulled over for having them banded?????

thankyou much love x

Crasher
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I am not sure about widening steel wheels, there have be reports of it being illegal if not done by approved companies but certainly stretching the tyres is illegal and I have known people get stopped for it. I personally don’t understand why people do it though, it looks daft and make the car drive like a pig. Still want to paint them white?

Sam
06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I love the look if it's done right.

http://www.computeranything.co.uk/photos/albums/passat/IMG_4860.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/669hoff/P1020829.jpg

There are a few companies out there that'll do it for you, these guys (http://www.bandedsteels.com) being one of the more prominent in the UK.

As for being legal, you're splitting a wheel on the weld meaning whatever certification previously applied to the wheel is basically torn up. You do so at your own risk of course.

Tyre legality - Crasher's on the money. The tyre manufacturer makes the tyre to fit on a rim of a certain size (min/max width), fitting it to anything outside the recommended sizes makes it not suitable for purpose.

Crasher
06-04-2010, 10:04 PM
That’s horrid, I must be getting old…

elvismiggell
06-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm with you Crasher and I'm 25...

... wait, does that just make me old?

Crasher
06-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I’m 46 so yes you old bugger!

macmillions
06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Well I'm 23 and I think it looks toilet. And I live in Essex!

elvismiggell
06-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Well I'm 23 and I think it looks toilet. And I live in Essex!

Ah well then it's official.

If a 23 year old Essex boy, a 25 year old South London living Yorkshire man and a 46 year old grumpy git all agree...

(That sounds like the start of a really bad joke...!)

zollaf
06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
add a 36 year old ex pat living in wales to that list. it looks cac (thats a rude word in welsh).
how do they get those tyres to seat onto the rim when they are far too small ? its hard enough getting one on that does fit if they have been stored in a pile and the beads dont touch the rim. is it a case of using the old lighter fluid or brake cleaner trick and exploding them on, or do they need inner tubes. i just cant see the point in it, looks like they cant afford wide enough tyres.

Crasher
07-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Some fitters use the lighter gas or oxy torch whiff trick (those without hair and eyebrows) but there are bead blowers available that dump an enormous jet of compressed air into the gap.

Sam
07-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Hairspray, lighter fluid, brake cleaner etc etc.

Plenty of "oh lord did he really do that" videos on Youtube showing the process.

I'm older than all but two of the old gits above and I like it - maybe I'm a secret hoodychavyoof?

elvismiggell
07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm older than all but two of the old gits above and I like it - maybe I'm a secret hoodychavyoof?

Oops, didn't realise you were keeping it a secret!!!

Sorry for outing you!

No hoods up on the forum! :D

paul b
07-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm 49 and think that looks utterly minging.

Crasher
07-04-2010, 01:03 PM
:biglaugh: :approve:

MalcQV
07-04-2010, 01:11 PM
46, I just don't like it. However if you ever saw the pictures of my MKIII Tina when I was just 17 :D

I am getting old yes, older than my years I think :(

NickPicks
07-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't like it. Not only does it look wrong, but it doesn't improve handling, traction, suspension geometry, unsprung weight or anything else which might make the car perform better. If fact, it makes several of them worse. In my book, that comes under 'Barry' modifications.

I'm 39, but I wouldn't have liked it when I was 25 either!

Eshrules
07-04-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't like it. Not only does it look wrong, but it doesn't improve handling, traction, suspension geometry, unsprung weight or anything else which might make the car perform better. If fact, it makes several of them worse. In my book, that comes under 'Barry' modifications.

I'm 39, but I wouldn't have liked it when I was 25 either!

Barry's a bit extreme dontcha think?

I'm still working out when our forum became populated by so many old farts :Blush2:

Hex69
07-04-2010, 01:58 PM

I'm still working out when our forum became populated by so many old farts :Blush2:

Old farts, us???? Course we are, it's only Old Farts that have the time to post because they're not off partying, smoking illegal substances, and having fun with members of the opposite/same sex (delete as appropriate ;)) :biglaugh:

NickPicks
08-04-2010, 12:16 PM

I suppose it's not quite as bad as having a meccano spoiler and lexus lights, but it's a slippery slope.

A nice set of alloys would look better, and the right size tyres would make it corner better.