PDA

View Full Version : In desperate need of help!! Ecu quote form volkswagen extortionate

wezdore
06-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys, I have a Golf 2004 FSI 1.4 and i recently cleaned my car without igniton on and the radio playing, Battery went dead and car wouldnt restart.

I replaced battery, nothing happened except the engine was making a sound like a dolphin when i attempted to turn the car over.

I got told that i needed a new ECU which now i have been quoted £800.00 by volkswagen plus VAT.

Could i buy a 2nd hand ECU and get it reprogrammed to suit my car? if so, doesnt anybody know anyone if the manchester or north west area that could help???????

cheers lads:(

Crasher
06-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Yes you can use a second hand ECU if you can find one and to do that you would need the number off your old one. There are various companies who can code a used ECU to match your new one so making it possible for you to swap it yourself. The worst problem is getting the ECU out, it is covered by a tamper proof anti theft cover that can be very difficult to get off. I use a disc cutter to put a slot in the head of the shear bolt and then remove the bolt with a flat blade screw driver, I do not refit the cover!

I would be interested to know why it needs a new ECU though, it sounds very odd. Did you try and jump start the car before replacing the battery?

wezdore
07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
cheers for the reply matey, i dont understand myself why it was suggested the guy i took it to had the car for 12 weeks and then he turned round and said he cant fix it after buyin an ECU off a guy from london.

My car is currently at Volkswagen in Bolton (Knight Smith & Kay) they have done a diagnostic, and apparently they wont touch it because there claiming its not a genuine part and that there diagnostic has told them that theres no communication with the automatic gearbox, when the car is a manual.

I think Volkswagen might be peed that its not a brand new part from them.

and yes mate, I did try to jump start it wasnt holdin the charge or tickin over, hence me swoppin it for a new one. when i attempted to tick it over it was makin a dolphin type noise which i assumed was the immobiliser cuttin it out (not sure though, as im no mechanic haha)

Crasher
08-04-2010, 08:55 AM
The ECU cannot be anything other than genuine, it may have been checked and/or repaired but it is no reason to not work with it. The no comms with the auto box will be that the engine ECU has been recoded for auto, I think the VW dealer is being a bit sniffy there and they should just get on and fix it! If they insist it is the ECU you are going to have to relent and let them change it but if it does not cure it, they must agree to remove the new ECU and not charge you for the part (charging for the labour is acceptable) and to put the other ECU back on and carry on looking for the problem.

The immobiliser will not act like that (a factory fitted one anyway), the factory immobiliser function cuts the engine 1 second after start, no matter what you try it will not run.