PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with aftermarket stereo install

frankieboy
27-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Help!I have a bora pd130 SE. It's only got a crappy gamma radio/cassette. I'd like to get something like a sony/kenwood cd/mp3/usb in dash jobby. Took the stereo out today and to my horror saw that the aerial was a bare coaxial cable with loose copper wires! Clearly the previous owner had just cut the end off.

1. Is it possible to buy a new aerial connector and fix it back on? If so from where? Or can you live with it like that?

2. I hear if you buy an aftermarket stereo you need a signal booster? More info needed! Would 1. complicate things terribly?

3. I really want to keep the steering wheel controls. I believe you can buy an adapter. Would you lose the display on the dash with an adapter?

4. Considering a kenwood double din to occupy the void above the stereo. Would you need any housing for this?

Thanks in advance

Frank :beerchug:

Flash2
27-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Frank, you can get a new aerial plug at Maplin Electronics (www.maplin.co.uk) order code : HH12N. You can convert it to the VW DIN type by using an adapter if required.
The aerial booster is needed to feed power to the amplifier in the aerial base. It connects inline with the aerial cable and has a power wire attached that gets connected to the electric aerial output of the radio (or the ignition feed wire) - very simple to fit.

Sorry can't help you with 3 or 4.

Regards - Jim

frankieboy
28-05-2007, 10:06 PM
After a bit of research I will answer my own questions for the benefit of others in the same boat!!!

1. Thanks Jim!

2. Doesn't appear necessary. Bought a new Sony head unit. plugged what was left of the aerial into the aerial socket and the FM reception was perfect....good news....Admittedly no AM oh well -crap anyway.

3. Yes adapters are freely available - make sure the head unit can take them. The sony ones that can are called "safety commanders" - presumably because you can keep your hands on the wheel. And yes as far as I know you lose the info display on the dash. Pity.

4. Don't think so.Could be wrong. i went for a single in the end...

Regards

Frank

Fizzbitt
18-07-2007, 02:40 PM
What did you use to get the gamma stereo out of there?

I have the sliding metal things which came with a sony head unit i bought recently which is used to pull the sony out of the cage. Can these be used in the standard Bora headunit?