PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy an Ibiza

paul b
04-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Do we have any 2002-2009 Ibiza owners on here? I'm looking to purchase one for my son as he has his driving test booked soon. I was wondering if anyone knows of any faults to look out for when buying?

I've been briefed by Crasher (cheers! :)) as to the timing chain issues, so I've got a good idea about that one.

Cheers,
Paul

Waddellg
31-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Electrics, brake light switches, traction controls systems, glow plugs on the TDi - buy a skoda fabia or vw polo they're better built.

Eshrules
01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I would suggest a test drive if you consider a Fabia.

The ibiza and polo are very solid little things to drive, having driven a couple of fabias recently however (admittedly the little 1.4 things) and it pains me to say I hated it. The steering felt far too vague, far too light on the motorway and the 47mpg they quote is completely false. I was lucky if I saw 40 on the m.way, 30 around town.

I'm a fan of the ibiza, it does what it's designed to do and it does it perfectly (IMHO).

Paul - what's your budget?

Sam
01-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Mrs mycarsavw has had an 03 plate 1.4 SE for the past 7 years.

Other than a very early teething issue with an engine speed sensor it's been 99% reliable, economical and suitably punchy when required. It's a little bit floaty on motorways at speed but other than that, it's a perfect first car.

Other than service items, I've replaced a window regulator, a CTS, the front springs after one went while it was stood on the driveway and the lower front bushes.

scotty33
15-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I thought about buying an Ibiza sport some time ago, back on the agenda again as it happens... I read about front suspension bushes (console bushes?) being a weakness, but same would apply to polo and fabia surely? The ibiza cupra R is said to be fitted with upgraded bushes which last better?

Corgi
31-03-2012, 03:15 PM
I have an 05 Ibiza FR TDi 130 with the ASZ engine (88K on it) and have owned the for the last two years or so.

I pre-emptively have replaced my standard front voided bushes with solid Cupra ones - this has improved the feel of the front end a lot and hopefully they will last longer than the voided ones which only lasted 20k.

A rear brake caliper seized so I changed both of them for new ones...funny as that's what happened with a 16v GTI Golf I had in the past - maybe it's a VW rear disc brake design thing. The washer pipes have a habit of disconnecting themselves and this has happened for me on a connection underneath the battery and also in the boot...easy fixes both of them - again a common thing on some VAG cars.

More seriously, my head gasket has just gone and I'm in the process of getting it repaired. Having researched this forum Crasher has posted (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?125042-another-losing-water-post%21&highlight=head+gasket) that it's not an uncommon fault for the PD130 :aargh4:

Despite the mega bucks repair bill I am now facing I love my Ibiza and much prefer it to my previous car which was a Polo. It is a much quicker car than the 16v GTi Golf I had in the past. The brakes are stonkingly strong on the Ibiza too - although when people remap them they do tend to fit 312mm Audi TT brake calipers and discs. I also prefer my Ibiza to the new Exeo having had a 2.0 TDi as a hire car recently - big lolloping cruiser is what that felt like.

I disagree with the sweeping generalisation in this thread that Polo's and Fabia's are built better. I haven't found that from my own practical experience that my Ibiza is built less well than the Golf, Jetta, Polo and other Ibiza (i have owned two) I have owned in the past.

They're good cars in my opinion and despite the HG failure issue I'm facing I'd buy another Ibiza diesel.