PDA

View Full Version : iPod 'stutters' at start of tracks

Bogester
03-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi

I recently got a Golf MK6 as a company car, and very happy with it I am. However, I have one niggle that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on: when playing my iPod through the RCD 510 sound system (via the MDI), the sound often 'stutters' at the start of tracks. I've tried several different iPods, some hard disk based and some with solid-state memory, and they all show the same fault. Is this a known/common problem? Is there a fix for it (e.g. a firmware upgrade for the RCD 510/MDI)?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

PhilDon
03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
mine too on a 310 - very annoying !!

terrytg41
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Well my 310 sometimes displays the wrong track when i've got a USB stick in and also (as i like a bit of a surprise) when on MIX (random) plays the same tracks quite frequently, should go thro all 100 ... or whatever and then repeat. Didn't do that with my old Pioneer ....... R.I.P.
Yet to try on CD. Still when DAB takes over we'll all (except DAB 'ers) have to change or get aan interface.

psmith98752
03-04-2010, 11:17 PM
happened on my RCD-310 and my RCD-510 too.

Wonder if we should collectively say to VW UK as I know from previous threads this happens to people.

Also sometimes the display will not update what track its playing (like the track name/duration freezes)

Keithuk
03-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Well my 310 sometimes displays the wrong track when i've got a USB stick in and also (as i like a bit of a surprise) when on MIX (random) plays the same tracks quite frequently, should go thro all 100 ... or whatever and then repeat.
I don't have an iPod I just use a 2GB flash drive in the MDI in my RCD310 and it plays perfectly everytime. I have 1 mp3 track that has a glitch in it but thats the mp3 not the player. I have 185 mp3's on the drive so I have it set to Mix All rather that just Mix. If you press the Mix button and press it again it will display Mix All so all tracks are random.

So your 310 as the DAB option? Mine doesn't even though the sh++y handbook says it does. I know the DAB can the an additional option to the 310 but the handbook should say this. ;)

Bogester
04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
happened on my RCD-310 and my RCD-510 too.

Wonder if we should collectively say to VW UK as I know from previous threads this happens to people.

Also sometimes the display will not update what track its playing (like the track name/duration freezes)

Thanks for the replies so far. I will raise it with VW UK to see if there's a fix for it, as it clearly is a fairly widespread problem. I'm hoping that someone will read this thread who has already raised this problem with VW and knows of a solution to it.

Gilesme
04-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Not got any Gareth Gates on there have you ?

stevelewis_99
05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi

I just found this site while looking for information on exactly this problem, on my RCD310.
I would also be very interested if anyone hears of a solution - I've noticed that it doesn't happen when using USB flash drives, just ipods!

Edit:
I've just found this MDI firmware update - it applied successfully for me. http://www.my-gti.com/1915/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-kw33
It does seem to have cured the stuttering, though on some tracks which start literally without any delay can miss the very first beat - but no apparent stutter yet!
See if it helps for you?

Bogester
05-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi

I just found this site while looking for information on exactly this problem, on my RCD310.
I would also be very interested if anyone hears of a solution - I've noticed that it doesn't happen when using USB flash drives, just ipods!

Edit:
I've just found this MDI firmware update - it applied successfully for me. http://www.my-gti.com/1915/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-kw33
It does seem to have cured the stuttering, though on some tracks which start literally without any delay can miss the very first beat - but no apparent stutter yet!
See if it helps for you?

Hi stevelewis_99, thanks for this. Unfortunately, it won't load onto my RCD510/MDI system. I get the message 'Software update not possible' on the display. Presumably this means that the firmware on my system is the same or newer than the one I downloaded. I'll contact VW and see what they say.

Cheers

percymon
06-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I have no isues with either a 16gb USB stick or iPhone 3g. I have an old iPod nano (all of 1gb capacity, those were the days!) which I'll try.

keithgtsport
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the Thread just up dated the radio no stutter now:beerchug:

PhilDon
06-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi

Edit:
See if it helps for you?

hi Steve & thanks for the link
my 310 also refused to play all the tracks on a long playlist & occasionally didn't change the track name display
I've just successfully applied the firmware update & will check how it performs over the next day or two & will let people know - fingers crossed

mad evo
06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
hi Steve & thanks for the link
my 310 also refused to play all the tracks on a long playlist & occasionally didn't change the track name display
I've just successfully applied the firmware update & will check how it performs over the next day or two & will let people know - fingers crossed

My 310 has also stutters at the start of tracks whilst using an iphone 3gs, it also says on the iphone that device not compatable but seems to work and charge fine???

Often it displays the wrong track names on the head unit display too!

I can do this software update myself using the usb mdi connector in the armrest? (i have one for usb and one for ipod in there)

Or did I just read that all wrong and I have to go to the dealer for an update?

Sorry for the noob question I have no knowledge about these rcd 310 and 510 units and how they can be updated. :D

stevelewis_99
06-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I can do this software update myself using the usb mdi connector in the armrest? (i have one for usb and one for ipod in there)

Nope, you can do it yourself! You can use the USB mdi cable you describe - it worked for me, i just copied the file to an empty usb pen-drive, plugged it in, ignition on and switched to mdi. More details are on the site which the link leads to.
You should see a message telling you what's happening. Either that the update is in progress and then successful, or one of the following:

Update with older version is not possible

The file on the USB flash drive is older than the software version on the MDI.

Update on the same version is not possible

The file on the USB flash drive is the same as the software version on the MDI.

Update file is corrupted or damaged

Re download the file and start again

Multiple update files found

There are multiple update files in the root of the USB flash drive, delete the older versions and start again.

Update was terminated

An error has occured in the update, start again.

I did get one or two little stutters this morning, but nothing like as bad as it was before and less frequent. I'm using an old (5th gen?) 60Gb ipod, so you could get different results with newer ones.

mad evo
06-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Excellent, thanks very much for the quick reply. I won't be back to the golf untill satarday but will post up my experience of the above soon as I do get to try it.:beerchug:

PhilDon
06-04-2010, 07:25 PM
My 310 has also stutters at the start of tracks whilst using an iphone 3gs, it also says on the iphone that device not compatable but seems to work and charge fine???

Often it displays the wrong track names on the head unit display too!

Sorry for the noob question I have no knowledge about these rcd 310 and 510 units and how they can be updated. :D

as Steve's reply - I downloaded the software, copied it onto a memory stick & plugged it in using the USB cable
the display read SW update.. for about a minute or so then changed to SW updated (I think)
couldn't have been easier

mad evo
06-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Great to hear, hopefully might fix the connection message on the iphone too.

I'd be a very happy chappy if I could do all that at home without visiting the dealer :D:D:D

terrytg41
06-04-2010, 08:42 PM
So your 310 as the DAB option? Mine doesn't even though the sh++y handbook says it does. I know the DAB can the an additional option to the 310 but the handbook should say this.

Keithuk, No I meant that we will have to get interface or change head unit when analog radio expires. I think they said 2015.....not long !!!!!
will be mountains of old radios scrapped just as they get shot of the old tv's.

CJ_SX
06-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Tried the MDI update this evening.
All I got was a 'Software Update Failed' :(

percymon
06-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Great to hear, hopefully might fix the connection message on the iphone too.

sadly no, that message is an apple disclaimer basically saying you are connecting the iPhone to a non approved accessory

mad evo
06-04-2010, 10:47 PM
sadly no, that message is an apple disclaimer basically saying you are connecting the iPhone to a non approved accessory

I see, makes sense now. cheers

Nippy N
10-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Mine stutters at the start of tracks with the Ipod (a 2Gb Nano) but the SD card works fine. 2010 VW GT with RCD510 head unit.

SebbyMK6
15-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks, will try this at the weekend!

p3asa
24-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I had this same problem on my MK6 and posted it in this forum (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=131370.0)
I've found the display changing definitely linked to the stutter. If I watch the display when the song changes, the new song starts playing however the old song is still displayed. When the display changes to the new song, that is when I get a muting / stuttering of the song!!!!

Sebby, did you give it a try?

SebbyMK6
25-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I did, but unfortunately mine wouldn't update. :(

Silvergrey
29-04-2010, 10:57 AM
My iPod suffers from the stutter in my new Polo. No such problem with a flash drive, but that won't play MP3's gaplessly, although I woudln't expect it to. In fact, i prefer the flash drive approach (and a 16GB stick is plenty of space), but it meains I will just have rip mix (gapless CD's) as a single file for use in the car. I tried the firmware update but it would run, so I've going to book the car in to see if VW can sort it out along with a couple of creaks/rattles.

p3asa
29-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Can you keep us informed if they can or can't fix it?

Thanks.

percymon
29-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I have no isues with either a 16gb USB stick or iPhone 3g. I have an old iPod nano (all of 1gb capacity, those were the days!) which I'll try.

Been using my old Nano for a week now, and as with the iphone, i have no issues with missing music, or track info on the RCD310 display.

I don't use either on 'mix'/random play though.

p3asa
29-04-2010, 01:28 PM
The update wouldn't work for me either.
USB, SD cards any every other media is fine its just the ipods with me (all 7 or 8 I've tried)
I swapped my RCD510 for an RNS510 and it is still the exact same. The RNS had a slight fault so it was swapped for another and again it is exactly the same with the stutter / muting as the track changes.

I'm 100% convinced it has got something to do with the display changing as that is when it happens. Plus If I select repeat and listen to same track over again, it doesn't stutter probably due to the display not having to change.

I wonder if I delete the track info from some of my MP3's if that would help or does it just do it when it is going through the process of changing tracks regardless.

Anyone any other ideas?

lucid
29-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Hmm interesting will try the file tomorrow, presently have the RCD310 with MDi and have tested with an ipod and it was all over the place, worked ok with iphone 3G but am now using it with a western digital 500 gigabtye passport drive (new style) with 133gb on it. Seems to be working ok though sometimes does take 5mins to get going, other times works straight away.

p3asa
30-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Interesting about your hard drive. I had a similar problem with mine. At times it would fire up straight away and others depsite no amount of plugging / unplugging it wouldn't be recognised. However I put it down to either the cable (as it refused to be recognised completely after I bought a 6 inch USB cable to keep the wires neat) or the enclosure itself as sometimes even my PC wouldn't recognise it.

lucid
30-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Points to note though are that I had to use swissknife software to format it to FAT32 and that you can't use any form of USB extension cable.

This unit uses micro usb as opposed to mini usb that the older version used. its a shame there isn't a better search facility on these units though.

All my albums are in folders so are in alphabetical order, at least.

paul.mgrath
25-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Just updated mine and it did just as lucid says however ipod still stutters!!!!:(

stevelewis_99
26-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Just to give an update - since i applied the update a while ago - the stutter problem is 'less bad' but its not fixed, it still happens now and again. I've only had the frozen display once or twice.

I suspect that those who cannot apply the update may already have it due to having a newer car. So I think that we're still waiting for another update to actually fix the issue... not sure how this can be achieved though.

Another mildly annoying thing I've found - if I'm playing an iPod playlist, and have it on mix folder (shuffle), skipping back only goes to the start of the current track - you cannot get back to the previously played tracks, yet on the iPod (natively) you can do that. Weird.

lucid
26-05-2010, 11:38 AM
As mentioned earlier I use a FAT32 formatted 500Gb hard drive and sometimes have to wait ages for it to be recognised and I get the MEDIA INITIALIZING message.
This I believe is down to the cable somehow though as yet I'm not whether it's the main MDI cable or the short one attached with female usb. After some jiggling and reconnecting it now gets recognised almost immediately.

p3asa
26-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Lucid i've experimented a bit with this.
I bought a 6 inch USB cable and the unit refuses to recognise the hard drive when using this cable. Even when I connect the hard drive to my PC with the cable, it is hardly ever recognised.

If I connect using the lead that came with the hard drive enclosure, the MDI eventually recognises and boots it and it works happily for a few days and then refuses to boot again. This seems to be totally random. If I try this same lead on the PC again it displays the same symptoms, boots most of the time but occasionally isn't recognised.

The lead that came with the enclosure has 2 USB connections and the instructions recommend that both leads are plugged into the PC as some hard drives require slightly more power than a standard USB can supply. So in effect I think the enclosure I use with the hard drive probably needs more power than the USB from the MDI can supply.

I've been told by a few folk that proper 2.5" Hard Drives use less power and that may very well be the problem. Is yours an enclosure with a hard drive or an all in one unit?

lucid
26-05-2010, 08:52 PM
this is what i use:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=700

http://a.imagehost.org/0147/wdfMP_Essential.jpg
its available in 250, 320, 500, 640 gigabytes and 1TB. Its the new style passport drive with micro usb (which is smaller) as opposed to mini usb which the older style passports had, avoid these older style WD passports as they were unreliable and often failed.

£65 from Amazon for the 500gb, get a suitable case for it too.
:D

I was losing the 1st digit off the album name and track but now its getting recognised straight away all the names are fine. I'm using about 130gb of the 500 with over a 1000 albums all mp3 at 320kbps. Tried it with an iPod initially but that's just complete pants in comparison.

Do remember though it has to be formatted to FAT32 using swissknife 1st.

N.B

just to explain what i meant about the recognition errors relating to the cables. Most users with MDI will have the MDI as a socket in the armrest. Now that is mine should have been if the factory hadn't forgotten to fit it. hence mine is a trailing cable that emerges inside the glove box with the MDI socket on the end. I attach either a short cable that converts it to a socket USB or an iPod cable. Its the jiggery pokery with the MDI cable or the usb that has meant success or failure really. As of now its working, but its back to the dealer soon for a retrofit of some usbs to the armrest so i'll be able to have the HDD in either place. Just praying it will still work after as well as it does now!

On a point of note, before i fixed the MDI/HDD i was left with old tech cds until it was recognised but found that the RCD310 recognised the artist name and track name on the press of a button instead of track1,23 etc. Very useful. ;-)

Keithuk
01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't have an iPod I just use a 2GB flash drive in the MDI in my RCD310 and it plays perfectly everytime.
For the past week I've noticed that the tracks aren't very random. I have 265 tracks in 16 folders for various artists on the flash drive and it appears to get stuck in one folder. I normally have it set on MIX ALL which does what it says.

I've formatted and rebuild the drive but its still the same. I've had to put all tracks on the drive root so it will play them all randomly. ;)

SebbyMK6
12-06-2010, 07:34 PM
In case anyone is not aware, there is a new firmware update for the MDI.

http://www.my-gti.com/2491/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0111-kw22-2010

p3asa
13-06-2010, 08:59 AM
I put it on and the S/W update took on the MDI this time.
Played my itouch and no jump / pause at the start of the next track. I was ecstatic.......until my son told me the display hadn't changed!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.

My itouch had only ever once not changed the track displays name and I think that was a fluke but here it was not changing after every song. I had to manually fast forward it to get it to display.

So for me it has made things worse. However it just reinforces to me that the display changing is definitely linked to the songs stuttering at the beginning of the track as that never happened when the display never changed. Although when I reset everything, switched car off etc and restarted, it was changing the display on most of the songs but the stuttering was back!!!!

Its due its service so I'll say to them.

SebbyMK6
13-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Sorry to hear that - I feel bad now! I don't have that trouble with my iPhone 3G (firmware 3.1.3). I wonder if it's worth you doing a reset of your iPod Touch?

p3asa
13-06-2010, 07:34 PM
No problem Sebby. Its actually slightly better now I've been using it for a day.
The tracks do change but I've sussed if you manually select "next track" or go back a few tracks then the display sticks.

Naively I've thought the ipod v4 software that is due out shortly will sort it but know there is no chance of that!!

spencerchappell
14-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Is anyone else having problems uploading the latest MDI Firmware (from http://www.my-gti.com/2491)? I get the message "Software Update is not Possible".

Also, does anyone know how to validate which Firmware version is currently installed?

Thanks!

SebbyMK6
14-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I had problems with the previous release, but this one worked for me.

paul.mgrath
14-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Previous update worked for me but this one comes up with software update failed. Never mind.

stevelewis_99
15-06-2010, 12:27 AM
This one worked ok for me too.... no sign of the stutter yet (only tried one or two tracks) but will give it a few days to see how it runs.

Update: There is still the odd stutter - so still not completely fixed!

Silvergrey
21-06-2010, 08:44 AM
I applied the firmware update to the stereo in my new Polo. The previous one didn't work as it said it was already up to date.

The iPod stutter is still there - I'm using the latest iPod Classic (160gb).

It's not really a problem as I use a flash drive for music, but it would be nice to get the iPod working too!

p3asa
22-06-2010, 10:12 AM
I applied the firmware update to the stereo in my new Polo. The previous one didn't work as it said it was already up to date.

The iPod stutter is still there - I'm using the latest iPod Classic (160gb).

It's not really a problem as I use a flash drive for music, but it would be nice to get the iPod working too!

Sorry to hear it didn't work but I'm glad its not just a Golf thing then. Hopefully if it is that widespread then VW will get their finger out and get it sorted.

Silvergrey
22-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Sorry to hear it didn't work but I'm glad its not just a Golf thing then. Hopefully if it is that widespread then VW will get their finger out and get it sorted.

The new Polo has the same unit as the Golf, so presumably it will affect any car fitted with that stereo. In my case I have the RCD310. Everything works well with a flash drive. It's just when using an iPod that the problem occurs.

p3asa
22-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Its not the unit causing the problem though. I swapped my RCD510 to a RNS510 (which had a slight defect) so got another RNS510.
So 3 different units and all have displayed the stuttering problem.
It must be within the MDI unit. Although I have a few songs that it doesn't stutter with.

I put my music on the hard drive of the RNS510 but nothing beats the ipod for being able to select numerous playlists.

Interestingly my sons Nano doesn't stutter anywhere near as much as my touch although the display doesn't change when using that!!!!