PDA

View Full Version : Please Help S4 Avant STronic vs A4 3.0TDi STronic - 3.0 TDi mpg?

scoobmw
03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
I was doing fine a week ago. Thought I'd decided on an S4 as was comparing with an A6 back then and decided the extra space wasn't needed and wasn't fussed about the Tiptronic box after a test drive. So thought what the hell, they were going to cost the same and really fancied something with the dual clutch and Drive Select options.

Having a brochure I'd seen in the A4 range there was no Diesel eqivalent so started negotiations with a view to the S4. Then I saw on the configurator that there is an A4 with the 3.0TDi and with STronic and drive select options too.

That shook up the decision because I start thinking about the reduced fuel costs over the next 6+ years based on mpg.

So help me out folks, which some ofyou have already done on the 18" 19"'wheels thread. Which one?

And specifically - anyone out there with the A4 I'm talking about that can share some real life mpg figures. Is 40 combined vaguely right? Can you get 50 on the motorway?

Cheers.

robtt09
03-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Mine has 3.00tdi tiptronic and does about 33mpg on a day to day basis.Long run on motorways doing 80ish equals 40 to 42 mpg.I too nearly went for an S4 but from my test drive they seem to give about 30% ish less fuel economy so the tdi it was.

scoobmw
04-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Mine has 3.00tdi tiptronic and does about 33mpg on a day to day basis.Long run on motorways doing 80ish equals 40 to 42 mpg.I too nearly went for an S4 but from my test drive they seem to give about 30% ish less fuel economy so the tdi it was.

That's really helpful. 33 day to day sounds nae bad, though as with other Audi figures, somewhat below (I expected this) the quoted 40.
And 40 for a cruise is still going to be a lot better than an S4, though again short of the Audi claim of 49. I dunno what conditions they use to get these figures. Something dodgy with them being so far out of sync I reckon.

cpd1
04-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I get about the same than Rob on my 3.0TDI STronic, 32-33mpg, 29-30mpg with heavy London traffic on my way back in the evenings. Motorway if yuu can avoid using the 240bhp, you can do 40-42mpg ;)
All in not bad for the performance and if you really floor it you go down to 26-27mpg, which remains OK.
Clearly all a long way from Audi claimed numbers but to be fair, same with all manufacturers expect to be off by 20-25% easily from official figures...
I recently had a 2.0TFSI Manual Quattro loaner, struggled to break mid 20s. Also considered a S4 but would suspect that I would struggle to stay above 20mpg...

scoobmw
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
That's great, thanks.

So a lot of evidence for me that says the TDi is going to get me 33% more fuel consumption, maybe more. All helping the diesel vs S4 decision.

Ps. Can you just use totally standard Diesel? I noticed a sticker on a demo car saying no Biofuel. I assume the fact that normal Diesel in Shell garages for example is labelled as containing 8% Biofuel is not relevant here? And you don't need Vpower Duesel to get your 240hp?

cpd1
05-04-2010, 09:03 AM
yep standard Shell diesel, I am sure you will get different opinions but I never bother with the V Power stuff, used it few times, didn't notice any difference in perf or mileage so just save yourself the 6-7p/ltr...
The engine is a real gem torque is great, in real life it is such a fast car for the mpg, you will not be disappointed. Had more powerful cars on paper before but the 3.0TDI is the perfect blend, really happy with it.

scoobmw
05-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Cool. Thanks. Pretty much decided now based on everything I've read and 162 miles to Glenshee and back with a 3.0Tdi pulling me along on a solo test drive in the wet, and 0.5 deg temps. Hey ho.

Just colour and where to buy from is the next challenge. No discounts at all from the dealer up here, just the standard one advertised by Audi. So shopping around.

cpd1
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
scoobmw,
Def shop around, you shouldn't pay anywhere near list in these days of economic hardship. Most dealers should be willing to deal at a friendly levels for both parties.
Check internet brokers (http://www.motorlogix.com/) too, they will give you an idea of how low you can go. I always prefer dealing with a local dealer but if they don't want to be commercial, there are plenty others who will be...

scoobmw
05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
That's a useful link - and yes agree totally re wanting to deal local if possible. They're claiming the Audi discount is the only discount available, so I'm effectively forced to go elsewhere. Shame really but there we are.

PerryGarrod
20-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Got a manual, when fully loaded running between place south of Geneva, 600 miles over 8 hours, I get just under 40mph

scoobmw
22-04-2010, 10:35 PM
OK, great replies from everyone. A 3.0TDi it is. Done job :-)

robtt09
23-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Enjoy ! I have just given mine a good workout between Malton and Driffield over the Yorkshire Wolds. No traffic, fast bends and long straights all with lovely scenery.One of the best driving roads left in England.Epic fun and speed.Car was great and if I had smiled any more my head would have fallen off !

We should have a thread on here for roads like the above to enjoy our cars on. Then if you are in a different part of the country you can see where the locals go for a blast.